Bringing foods from the local corner shop & I get to go out! ~ Fiesta Friday #4

What should I bring this week to the party?

Well I think this week I have royally trumped all the other party goers and I should receive a VIP and red carpet welcome by Novice Gardener, the one and only generous host of Fiesta Friday, who always seems to have a party in her house!

For all you foodies!

I have noticed that many of the contributors to Fiesta Friday are in fact cooking Queens and Kings and there is no way I can possibly compete with them on the cooking front, so I thought in true blingy style I would go by the saying “if you can’t beat em join em”.  Well I’ve not really joined them, kind of skipped a few steps on the old cooking front but nonetheless I bring food, lots of food, truffles that cost £2,500 per kg and stuffed figs that looks decidedly like Jordans breasts with I might say superficially enhanced nipples, they are very rude, the figs that is, I have no idea what Jordans nipples look like!

So I popped down ma local dehli shop with my carrier bag and picked up a few items before waddling back home in ma fluffy slippers!  Tiara donned and waiting at the doorstep for the red carpet, will I get one I ask, red carpet that is, no not a punch in the eye for calling Harrods my local corner shop. Yes Ladies and Gentleman I hob nobbed with the wealthy and beautiful, it was a mightily scary experience.  Do they really buy cakes for £4.300.00?  I know it has gold leaf on it (as shown), but really?

So, do I get the red carpet treatment, do I deserve it for all my festivity foods?

NB:  I have made little comments if you scroll over each piccie 🙂

On a serious note, yes I know it is rare for me.  With my ‘chronic pain’ issues, I really don’t get to do these kind of shopping trips often, if ever really in the last couple of years.  Since having my 2nd lot of spinal injections, it’s allowed me when I bump up my meds to have a little more freedom.  So last weekend, I got driven to Knightsbridge right outside Harrods and I spent about 3 hours in there, heading first to the Food Hall, just heaven, then somehow I ended up in the jewellery deparmtnet, namely Tiffanys, trying on diamonds, I would have taken photos to share with you had I been allowed, hehe.  OOooh lala again, what a girl’s dream, I was lucky, it was not a snooty assistant, she wanted me to try on diamonds, she wasn’t pushy either, I think she just liked seeing people wear the items.  Noooo I didn’t buy anything, but I fell in love, yes with a piece of jewelley and left glassy eyed and fuzzy all over for quite some while dreaming of it, LOL, silly old me!  But it was good, a great little party of my own 🙂

All comments and feedback extremely welcomed, please talk to me!!!!

57 comments for “Bringing foods from the local corner shop & I get to go out! ~ Fiesta Friday #4

1. February 21, 2014 at 12:09 PM

How much for that cake? Yikes, indeed! The ugly one better not cost that much! I’m currently obsessing over dragon fruits, nice to see you’ve come bearing some. Nice pictures with even nicer commentaries! ❤ ❤

• February 21, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Hehe the ugly cake was around £350.00 still expensive and uuuugly lol! Like the rude figs?

• February 21, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Love booby figs! 🙂

• February 21, 2014 at 12:19 PM

lol! I love figs but just couldn’t buy one. I headed to the Turkish area instead for halva and backlava yum!

• February 21, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Love figs, too! I’m going to try planting one again this year. They always die on me, but this is 3rd time, hopefully the charm. 🙂

• February 21, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Oh I would love a fig tree, they used to have one overhanging the primary school my son goes to, was mega jealous, just love them with some mozarella and parma ham, yum yum

• February 23, 2014 at 7:10 PM

PSt is got the price of the white and gold cake wrong it was £4,300.00 OHHHHH MYYY, have corrected my post now lol

• February 23, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Whaaat??? That’s outrageous!

• February 23, 2014 at 7:14 PM

I know, I just pulled up the photo and enlarged it, I had a niggly feeling it was wrong LOLOL..Outrageous indeedy but I bet someone will buy it, too much money for sense!

2. February 21, 2014 at 1:26 PM

It sounds like you had a wonderful day shopping! Wonderful photos too…even if none of the jewels 😉

• February 21, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Thank you 🙂 It was a great event, so good to get out and what a place to be let lose on hehe

3. February 21, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Wow – is all I can say 🙂

4. February 21, 2014 at 2:07 PM

What’s better for the soul than having a little fun! I’d love one of those glittery donuts right about now 😉

• February 21, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Oh you know after our conversation yesterday when I took my youngest out to skateboard i went to the local park cafe and got myself a coffee and chocolate brownie, was so yummy and that is the first in absolutely ages, as I told you I dont normally drink coffee but you had got me thinking about it all day and today as I took my son out on the bicycle I erm got another coffee and chocolate brownie, this isnt good! lol

• February 21, 2014 at 6:37 PM

It is good. Life is too short to feel guilty. We all deserve a treat once in awhile. Good for you 😉

5. February 21, 2014 at 4:43 PM

What a fun trip! That is one expensive gold-leafed cake and the other cake is indeed ugly. Love the journey and commentary!

• February 21, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Thank you so much, yes I think I remarked how ugly the cake was in the shop as other people were taking photos of it, luckily no one was offended or objected to my comment i was just taken aback as I don’t think I have seen an ugly cake before hehe

• February 23, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Oh and I got the cake price wrong, it was £4,300.00 LOL…oh my

• February 23, 2014 at 8:11 PM

What?! Is the inside made of gold? That’s ridiculous, lol!

6. Victoria
    February 21, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Fabulous, fabulous my friend!!

• February 21, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Thank you my fabulous friend back right at yah!

7. February 21, 2014 at 10:13 PM

What an amazing feast for the eyes! And I didn’t even gain a pound!!

• February 22, 2014 at 8:19 AM

I know I love these parties I keep so trim! Who am I kidding reading all your wonderful recipes makes me put on weight just wanting to eat the goodies lol x

8. February 21, 2014 at 10:24 PM

2500 pounds for a cake? around 3200 Dollars?? I didnt do the conversion but might be about right, wow. Maybe you let it dry, display it in a glass cake on velvet and call it “cake decadence the 21st century” – then it’s art and cheap?

• February 22, 2014 at 8:21 AM

You know I was just thinking that myself as to how long it would stay in the case and how dried out it would become. Your right it’s hideously expensive and I suppose oddly could be considered art though! I get free art daily fell my kids ;-D

• February 22, 2014 at 9:53 AM

I would assume they make them fresh to order – that one must just be the attractor cake – if it can be called that. I guess money really is absolutely no object for some people and probably with it’s design it’s targeting more of a middle eastern market. Not sure what heinous cake in black and red is targeting.

• February 22, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Haha your last comment really did make me laugh! And yes I guessed middle eastern but I have to admit I don’t think that cake particularly great looking either

• February 22, 2014 at 10:25 AM

yep neither of them do it for me either 🙂 too ostentatious

• February 23, 2014 at 7:09 PM

i got it wrong the white cake with gold is £4,300.00 LOL…faints!

• February 23, 2014 at 8:46 PM

4300 pounds – lol faints and needs to be revived with smelling salts – indeed I will faint with you – wow that is a lot of dosh!

9. February 21, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Haha, you are so funny! 🙂 And you must try dragon fruit at some point. It’s one of my favorites! It’s super light and refreshing.

• February 22, 2014 at 8:22 AM

They look too good to eat. What would you suggest doing with them any favorite combinations? X

• February 22, 2014 at 6:20 PM

I’ve always only eaten them on their own, but I imagine they would make a great addition to any fruit salad!

• February 22, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Ps glad I made you laugh 😀

10. February 23, 2014 at 9:56 AM

You took me back to my visit to Harrods. Boy I was amused, taken aback and shocked…..so many emotions at the same time..it was beautiful, it was elegant and it was sooooooo expensive. And is a w a lot of Arab women shopping with ease there. It was almost 10 years ago during my 1 year stay in UK. What a great country side!
    Nice to meet you my dear :).

• February 23, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Glad I brought back some memories 🙂 I don’t go there often at all but always an event! Nice to meet you too x

11. February 23, 2014 at 6:20 PM

omg! it’s like another world in there! my daughter would go crazy for that red and black cake! it’s her 21st birthday in april, wonder if i have time to save for it! hahahhahaha! if i saved for another 21 years i’d still not be able to buy it for her! but … hmmmmm.. could i make similar! now there’s a challenge. Glad you got out and about dearie!

• February 23, 2014 at 7:16 PM

I know!!! It is another world. I got the price for the white and gold cake wrong too, I thought it was £2,500 but its £4,300….faints…horrendous! Maybe copy my photo on to a plain cake lol?

• February 23, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Thanks also for the end acknowledgement, means alot, big hugs x

12. February 24, 2014 at 1:40 AM

Thanks for sharing all those lovely items. Your photo captions are cute. And, as a sort of aside, dragon fruit is tasty but definitely not my favorite Southeast Asian fruit. However, they are probably one of the flashiest.

• February 24, 2014 at 3:15 PM

A pleasure re the pics, I am starting to really enjoy photography even with my megre camera etc, but it gives you an added visual joy to everything. Re dragon fruit, I think I need to try it, just to say “yes I have eaten that” but I won’t buy it from Harrods 😀

13. February 28, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Hello there, I have posted on my blog – pics of your cakes and a link back to you, as well as a photo of a beautiful Swiss brides cake http://polianthus.wordpress.com/2014/02/28/its-friday-let-there-be-cake/
    maybe we can compare cakes around the world !
    happy friday

14. March 2, 2014 at 6:55 PM

i just noticed an additional thing while scrolling through this post, yet again (I know I worry about myself too) – what are European inspired foods? Wouldn’t that include the UK? Seems funny to see European inspired foods in Europe, am I missing something, or is Harrods catering mainly to non-Europeans now and needs to label the foods as European – is the cake labeled “foods inspired by the pharaohs? African inspired foods? Am I asking to many questions lady know as Justine aka Non-Heather? Happy Sunday night !

• March 2, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Haha you do make me laugh a lot I think your determination is right on the European distinction I think your pharaoh suggestions good perhaps you should write to Hsrrodd and suggest them? 🙂

15. March 2, 2014 at 11:13 PM

🙂 – write to Harrods? nobody ever follows my marketing suggestions more’s the pity. – when I got back from Ireland I wrote to our local beer sales emporium whether they wouldn’t want to stock a new favourite of mine: Galway Hooker – because 1) it’s a great beer 2) I cannot get it anywhere at all, not in France not in Germany and certainly not in Switzerland 3) couldn’t find another pale ale that tasted similar everyone sells India Pale Ale which is an entirely different beer species. 4) and this was the killer argument I thought: wouldn’t every beer drinker buy a beer called Galway hooker, especially if they are affluent 25 year olds??????? Did the marketing people take heed? Did they even answer my email? NOpe and NOPE, very disappointing (and btw the Hooker is a type of sailboat) – but you wouldnt have to advertise that when selling to the masses. Ah well. I will survive I guess without the beer. Have a good week P.

• March 2, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Hehe a great story and what a shame we will not be seeing any hookers in the supermarket xx