Fiesta Friday #9 ~ 4 days to make a profit of £3.00

So this week is Fiesta Friday #9

I am a little late on my entry this week, ie a day late, because I was busy trying to earn a ‘crust’ excuse the pun.

I blame it entirely on Angie from The Novice Gardener and also on I Need a Feed, why you ask?  Soon will be revealed.

PS recipes & instructions are right down at the bottom to make it easy to print etc, because I am thoughtful like that, however the chocolate chip cook recipe is on the link above on I Need a Feed 🙂

It started with a kiss

It all started with a kiss, no actually it all started with a trip down to my local Cafe on the Common where I often go for a stroll.

I went in and was being nosy, I asked, “where do you get your food from”  The answer was basically all “cash and carry” style foods.  I said “don’t you think it would be nice to have some locals cook for you?”  The husband of the husband and wife team (ie Owners said “yes that would be great, we had a young girl cooking for us, she took her food and hygiene certificate, cooked for two weeks then disappeared”

I quirked a brow, as you do in dramatic style and gave a look of empathy.  I said “that is a shame”.  He said “yes it is, we would love to have some local mums etc cook”  LIGHT BULB MOMENT ~ I NEED DESPERATELY SOME WORK, SO HERE ARE THE WORDS NEXT I could do some cooking for you “  He says “oh that sounds like a great idea, you would have to do  your food and hygiene test first and then yes, would be great for you to do some muffins and fairy cakes, things like that”.

So I say “fantastic, leave it with me, I am very keen”  Off I go back home and start baking.  I really blame this on Novice Gardener, for all these culinary ideas and me being a baker seeing as I have an Oscar now right surely I can supply bakery goods for the local cafe right?

Next I blame I Need a Feed, because on their last weeks entry they had chocolate chip cookies.  So I print off the recipe and start baking.  Easy peasy, and oh boy they taste delicious!  So I have a batch of these, pictures as photo evidence below.

Then I think “hrrm if I am going to take some samples maybe I should bake something else, now I blame Annabel Karmel, as I go for the healthy option and start to make some muffins, evidence again as you see below.

What happens next?

cookies and muffins

Taster examples for the cafe, chocolate chip cookies and breakfast bran muffins!

I take some samples down to the cafe.  They are not in, so I leave them.  The kids come home and sample my muffins as does my husband.  There is a resounding YUK, don’t like the muffins but love the biscuits.  I start to panic thinking OMG I just baked disgusting muffins as my “tempter to get some work, this is so not going to work”

And then next?

I phone them up to check they got the items and apologize (never apologize, makes you look unconfident, lesson learned).  They say they loved the muffins and the wife asks me to come in to discuss things the next day.  I go in and have this discussion.  She points out how cheap they can get their stuff in for.  I politely point out it is not ‘home made’ and not ‘local’ but I appreciate she needs to make money.  I ponder.  She says she wants 24 muffins and 24 fairycakes and for me to price them up.

So it’s back home excited

I don’t have stock, what am I going to bake, panic time.  Work out what I am going to bake and work out some prices, obviously the more you bake the cheaper it is to retail.  But I am excited.

What do I do next?

I take my online food and hygiene course, 3 hrs, £30 and I go cross eyed, studying non stop and woo hooo I get 98%  I must be a natural at this right?

I phone up to tell them my great results and pass a price over for the quantities stated.  The wife (who really is the boss) says great and asks for just 12 fairycakes!!  I try to hide my disappointment, I mean 12 from 48?  She is concerned about my presentation, will it look good enough?  OK no pressure here, am starting to cack myself and think I shouldn’t have gotten in to this at all, am scowling at Angie now, are you feeling this Angie?

So next?

I price up ‘just 12 fairycakes’.  We don’t have the stock in,so my poor husband is running around like a crazy man trying to pick up muffin cases and trays etc.  Because the boss said “bring them down by 2pm if they sell fast I will ring you later in the day for more ok?”  I say yes not really thinking this through but think “well if she rings me back I must have enough stock”  So expense paid out on making sure I do.

Then it is cooking time.  Products don’t arrive until 12.30, I start baking fairycakes.  They are the Lorraine Pascale fairycakes with a buttercream topping and ah I went and bought a lavender plant to decorate them with in theme for mothers day, hehe, though not edible I am sure customers can be told to pull the flowers off, though I am sure one would not die if eating them.

There is an explosion

mixer

The exposion!

So I bake 24 cakes, just incase, so I can experiement with some and I take the best 12.  Then we get on to the buttercream and I have learned when it says softened butter it means really softened.  I decided to bung all in with the icing sugar and my poor mixer groaned and nearly spat out smoke.  I made the mistake of taking the cloth off too early and as you can see, icing sugar flew out enmasse and coated ‘everything’ including me.  I wont tell you that in a fluster I also turned the whizzer bit on before putting it back in and lumps of buttercream landed on the wall and my face. NOT GOOD!  Tasted good though.

So I take it down to the Cafe

fairycakes

12 fairycakes for sale!

I take the fairycakes down to the Cafe I am feeling sick with nerves.  The price is £9.50 for 12.  She quibbles the price.  I try to explain 48 pro rata is more economic than just cooking 12.  However, my husband says I was wrong to quibble back and should have just reduced the price.  I said to him “what is the point of making it is out a price that it is not?  Also may I point out that this whole process has earned me a grand total of £3 profit!!!” Faints!

So, so far she has not rung me back, ie they don’t seem to have sold out.  She liked the taste of them as did her husband,  but sadly my excitement has waned on whether I am going to end up being a local baker for our Cafe nearby, my senses are telling me not, but I tried 🙂

You will see above evidence of my fairycakes, do you think they look good enough to sell?  Honest opinions gratefully received on this matter.

I have to say I was utterly exhausted afterwards and went to bed LOL, hence didn’t post this until today, who would think 12 fairy cakes would wipe someone out.  I think it was all the anticipation of how they would be received.  I daren’t go down to the Common now!

Recipes for the above

(I seriously tried to insert those clever tags, but was obviously doing it wrong, so am providing links to various recipes)

Please head on over to I Need a Feed for the lovely chocolate chip cookies recipe which is here.

Please head on over to Annabel Karmels Raisin Bran Breakfast muffins, recipe which is here.

However there were a couple of little changes due to this all being last minute and not having all the ingredients.

Replacements:

sultanas instead of raisins

Kellogs fruit & fibre instead of bran flake cereal

Unfortunately there is no online link for Lorraine Pascals cupcakes so have written below without the fancy tags as just cannot get them to work, so sorry.

Cupcake base

• seeds of 1-1/12 vanilla pods
  • colouring if wanted
  • Equipment
  • 12 hole muffin tray
  • piping bag etc

Method

Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C (315F) Gas mark 2-3.  Line muffin tin with 12 paper cases.

Put the butter and caster sugar ina large bowl and cream together until light and fluffy.  Add the vanilla, then the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  If the mixture begins to look curdled, add a tablespoon of the flour and beat well until smooth.

Once the eggs have all been beaten in, add the flour, salt and baking powder and mix together until just combined.  If the mixture is a bit stiff add the 2 teaspoons of milk or a splash of water to loosen it a little.

Using an ice-cream scoop, plop the mixture in to the paper cases and bake in  he oven for 25-30 mins, or until the cakes spring back slightly when pressed, they have that freshly basked cake smell and when a skewer inserted in to the middle comes out clean.

While the cakes are baking, make the vanilla syrup.  put all the ingredients in to a pan over a lower heat and stir gently until the sugar has dissolved.  Turn up the heat and boil for 1 min.  Then take the pan off the heat.

As soon as the cakes come out of the oven, brush them liberally with the vanilla syrup to make them really nice and moist.  leave the cakes to cool.

Meanwhile make the buttercrea.  put all the ingredients, except the food colouring, in a bowl and beat well until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.  You can colour the buttercream witha couple of drops of food colouring if you ilke.  Set aside until needed.

Once the cupcakes are completely cool, you can ice them.

Thank you for reading and I hope you have some fun with the recipes should you try any I would love to know.

Lets stay connected!

Lets stay connected!

45 comments for “Fiesta Friday #9 ~ 4 days to make a profit of £3.00

1. March 29, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Obviously I know the reason why you didnt appear yesterday.you were too busy to write as you got sticky fingers in your hand,Justine.And when I see your home made cakes from the distance, it looks yummy and delicious, I wish to taste and even to eat them but without the lavender plant ofcourse ….he he. It is a nice stuff anyway.:-)

• March 29, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Heh your right I looked like a ghost I was covered in icing sugar! Yus the lavender is not for eating just for smelling! It’s definately a more than a mouthful fairycake!

2. March 29, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Wow – you’ve been a busy girl! Love your triplets of goodies 🙂 I think your fairy cakes are beautiful and worth double the price!

• March 29, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Hehe thank you I’m totaled baked out lol scuse the pun!! 😀

3. kentuckygal50
    March 29, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Those look great! Someone needs to make a site where British cooking terms and US cooking terms are translated. Not sure what “caster sugar” is. Guessing that “icing sugar” is what we call “powdered sugar”.

• March 29, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Your right I didn’t realize there were so many differences goodness x

4. March 29, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Wow, now this is a hard thing that you got yourself into! Hope it goes well! Your cakes and stuff look super tasty!

• March 29, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Hehe thank you at least you know I can bake you a cupcake!

• March 29, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Oh yes please, yes to cupcakes anytime! P.S. I’ve never had a cupcake in my life yet — it’s uncommon pastry in my country and has only arrived recently…

• March 29, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Oh gosh you need to have one I shall make a cupcake wedding cake yes? Haha

5. March 29, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Your cakes are pretty! I would buy them, especially after your story! pretty sure I’ve said this before, love your stories and look forward to more each week!

• March 30, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Awe thank you I shall save a cake for you for sure 🙂 xx

6. March 30, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Your baking looks delicious. I hope the cafe appreciates your offer and your great efforts. And good for you for not backing down on price. You would not only be doing yourself a disservice, but all of your competitors too.

• March 30, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Thank you yes I agree I mean £3 profit can’t get much less lol can it! Glad you liked the look and I appreciate your words xx

7. March 30, 2014 at 12:10 AM

thanks for sharing your experience selling these.! These are lovely – I would definitely buy them any day over regular store ones 🙂

• March 30, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Ooohh thank you it’s great to hear. My piping thing I bought was rubbish and totally broke on me so it was proper hand decorated lol with a spoon. Really appreciate your words x hope to see you agaon

8. March 30, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Your fairy cakes looked delicious, and I’m so glad that the chocolate chip cookies recipe was helpful. 😀 You should props for the courage you showed in this endeavour, not to mention all the hard work! 😀 And I hope that you don’t get discouraged by it not working out this time around. Because each time you put yourself out there and take a chance, you gain experience, get to face new and exciting challenges, and you might even make some new friends in the process. I’m wishing you all the best! Keep up the good work! 😀

• March 30, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Hehe thank you I will make those cookies again I loved them and need to re blog them in to my scrapbook blog hehe. Thank you for your lovely encouraging words really appreciate it xx

9. March 30, 2014 at 3:13 AM

Oh my, what a story! Your cakes turned out great, I’d definitely buy them =]

• March 30, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Yay thank you that’s one saved for you… What’s your address? Lol thank you for your encouragement 🙂

10. March 30, 2014 at 5:07 AM

Hahaha…I take full responsibility! You did an exceptional job, Justine! Another Oscar for you! I think they’ll be calling you for more, just wait. Even if you only made £3.00, it was worth the fun, wasn’t it? Now that’s priceless! Would have loved to see you covered in powdered sugar, lol…

• March 30, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Haha your very naughty yes I KNOW you would have loved to see that in fact I think you would have paid quite a lot of money to see that! I am still finding icing sugar everywhere it obviously got in to deep crevices lol. I know they won’t ask for more as everything is about the penny for her ie the boss and she expected me to compete with cash and carry which I can’t. Plus I went back yesterday she had only sold one but it was a HOT day for the UK everyone was buying ice creams not cupcakes and and sheesh….they had left the cupcakes out in the open uncovered under the window in the blazing heat the petals had wilted which should have been removed and I was worried about them being in heat from 8am-5pm. But yes it was fun it was an experience and heck I now have my food and hygiene lol! Big huggles x

• March 31, 2014 at 6:00 AM

Oops you left me a comment since this one and ermm well it’s early morning and eyes have not focused yet and ermm it was before 7am and well I went to press the reply button and instead u pressed the little flag by mistake. I’m using my iPhone. Everything went weord and your comment disappeared. I don’t know what the flag is but maybe inappropriate content? Lolol

11. March 30, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Wow! I love the look and sound of your cakes! So beautiful! I would buy them, especially after all of the love and energy you put into them and yes, you deserve another Oscar!! 🙂

• March 30, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Haha thank you I better put up another shelf just incase 🙂 and save you a cake! Thank you for your lovely comments x

12. March 30, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Loved reading this! I am a very neat person but when I cook or bake I am like a hurricane. Helluva mess all over the place, floor and sometimes ceiling.

• March 30, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Haha great to meet another messy cook hehe we should start a gang x

13. March 31, 2014 at 4:12 AM

Hahah, Justine, you are a hoot! I laughed out loud reading your post. You are one brave gal and that lady needs to pay you extra for your fairy cakes. I can’t believe she quibbled with you over the price. Does she not understand the value in having a local baker?? Some people. Anyhow, what a wonderful story you’ll be able to tell for years to come! 🙂

• March 31, 2014 at 5:45 AM

Hehe glad I made you giggle and I am still finding caster sugar in errant places sheesh and now every time I go to somewhere that prepares food I’m checking food and hygiene standards lol

14. March 31, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Wow Justine! I loved reading your story…and wow, what a story it was! You are so brave! I definitely think your cupcakes look good enough to sell!

• March 31, 2014 at 4:21 PM

hah thank you, unfortunately it wasn’t the best weather for cupcakes, Britain had sunshine shock horror so the cafe was selling ice creams all day 😦 but heck it was an adventure and I am still finding icing everywhere lol, thanks for stopping by x

• March 31, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Your icing everywhere sounds like me and my kitchen! 🙂

• March 31, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Yeh, was a nightmare and the buttercream that was on the whisk bit all flew in my face as i got so flustered i put it on before putting it back in the bowl again, was on the wall and just everywhere hehe, tasted good though

• March 31, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Oh, I am laughing so hard…this is something that would totally happen to me! 🙂

15. April 2, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Such beautiful cakes, I especially love the orchid blossom (if I can see that correctly from here 😉