Blogging 201 Challenge – Day 1

20140417-135539.jpg

Blogging 201, Branding and Growth: Day One

So here we are day 1 of the 201 blogging challenge we have all been waiting with anticipation for.

After a few extra grey hairs appearing after the quadruple sorry double authentication security logging in process which locked me out of my blog for 24hrs (probably a good thing the break that is), I am now gnawing at my knuckles to find out what I need to do.

Here is the first thing for me to think about whilst I chill after a glass of wine on my week long holiday in Devon whilst the family watch the 100th episode of “Fast & Furious” which is slowly deafening me!

Please excuse my tardy post as I am doing this from my phone with a rather lazy beach bum internet connection:

Today’s assignment: consider what you want to accomplish with your blog. Write down three concrete goals you want to achieve.

To answer this:

My main goal is to provide entertainment to my readers by sticking to my initial plans for starting eclectics blog and that was to write stories.

I do this now mainly in journalistic form which I have found a love in but I would love to be confident to write either fiction or non fiction ‘proper’ stories (waits to be berated) – perhaps once a month

My second goal is to be more organized I am already doing this by transferring one blog under eclectics umbrella in the next week but I think I need to learn to create a calender

My third goal is to learn what my readers love most and whether I can achieve their desires after all I blog for me and them it’s a two way relationship.

The next questions posed are:

Why do you blog? To gain notoriety? To secure a book contract? To self-publish your work? To establish yourself as a leader in your field? To gain followers? Traffic? To connect with others? To work through and clarify your own thoughts?

I blog mainly because I love to entertain and provide something.

I used to work in the service industry as a holistic therapist, I can no longer do that but I’ve always loved giving.

I also need to learn to be practical too and I would like to earn a living of some kind somewhere down the line but I’ve a lot more to learn.

I also have a brain teaming with thoughts, my mind is never inactive, annoyingly so and as such blogging allows me to get some ideas out and to streamline them in to some sort of organized fashion.

If your blog exceeded your wildest dreams, what would that look like? Would you have a different design? How many followers would you have? How much traffic? What sort of community would participate? What discussions would take place? How often would you post?

This is semi easy but I answer for my 3 blogs as they cater for different things:

Livingineastsheen
I would like to get work from in my local area in journalistic, newsletter and a dream of doing photography. I would love to be known as ‘the blogger lady’ prolifically and have many locals itch to see what I’m writing about next. I have no idea of set numbers as this blog is for a very niche market, many read it locally but don’t follow it.

As for my it is a lonely place I guess I would like to be seen as a support to other fellow sufferers. I also use it selfishly for myself as a form of therapy to write my concerns and issues which in turn leaves the part of me I disassociate from pain to be more productive for my eclectic blog….

For my eclectic blogI would love thousands of followers haha I’m not greedy! Lol..spot the joke?

I would see this as a reflection of doing something right and providing something that a broad range of public wish for but I would not want to lose my personal connection.

I would need to learn how to keep that if I ever were to get to such large numbers.

My dream would be to write a book of short stories be it for adults or children.

I also wish to explore and further talents that have latent in my life like art that through other fellow bloggers has been awakened!

As always thank you for reading!
Justine x

Lets stay connected!

Lets stay connected!

20140415-194217.jpg

36 comments for “Blogging 201 Challenge – Day 1

1. April 15, 2014 at 7:26 PM

It’s an odd place is WordPress…sometimes I’ll go though bouts of having no new followers for weeks on end and then at other times I’ll get ten a day…it’s unpredictable but that’s why I love it. Raising my glass of vino in your direction and wishing for your 1000 πŸ™‚ xx

• April 15, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Haha thank you lol it was slightly tongue in cheek ! 🌸but I am enjoying the glass of wine 🍸

2. Lainey
    April 15, 2014 at 7:29 PM

A 201 day challenge?! Good luck, it sounds like a great challenge! Holistic therapies?! Which did you like best, I’m a Reiki practitioner xx

3. April 15, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Hello there, the Blogging Lady, it was super interesting for me to read about your goals! To me, I’d love your blog to remain what its title suggests: eclectic, that is, the best bits from all areas of your life. It shows that you like interacting with people, which is extremely useful in blogging, so your goals should be no big problem to for you achieve πŸ˜‰ And when you’re famous, can I be the Blogging Lady’s Lady? πŸ˜†

4. April 15, 2014 at 8:24 PM

hello there first question 1) did you have a good holiday 2) did you read Caitlin Moran 3) congrats on day one, eat lots of energy bars, youve got another 200 to go…I am impressed and look forward to reading, my first though was day x of 201 ‘ oh no I missed a post, but I didnt and I am glad.
    I took some photos you’d like in Italy – I also drank a very nice wine with the interesting name of Buotofuoco http://www.wine-searcher.com/regions-buttafuoco+dell%27oltrepo+pavese – which means flame thrower in case you wondered, it made me think of your potty language blog suggestion. The whole flame throwing thingy πŸ™‚ Happy Monday

• April 15, 2014 at 8:36 PM

sorry its spelled buttafuoco

• April 16, 2014 at 6:49 AM

Haha sounds dangerous lol

• April 16, 2014 at 11:31 AM

I don’t know what you are talking about πŸ™‚ – might need a cork.

• April 16, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Lol a cork?

• April 16, 2014 at 7:19 PM

well I wasnt going to go for the obvious one that you’d put in a drain was I now πŸ™‚

• April 16, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Haha so dirty scuse the pun
                Couldn’t help it!!

• April 16, 2014 at 8:02 PM

have no idea what you are on about ? but I am also not going to ask you to explain, you might get carried away. Happy holidays Poli

• April 16, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Thank you poli I’m confusing myself no idea what I said now either x

• April 16, 2014 at 8:47 PM

grins, really? somehow I doubt that but nice save πŸ™‚ funny what happens to brains late at night after too much telly………..beware things that go bump in the night…..:)

• April 16, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Hah I bet you go bump in the night ooooeeerr! No tv yet not really as the old man put on yet another detective movie…..yawns and rolls ryes

• April 16, 2014 at 6:48 AM

Lol yayyyy poliaaaaaanthus! Good to hear from you!’im still on holiday the sun has been shining so getting some fresh air and medicated up to the eyeballs to manage all the activity but enjoying it cept I probably am saying rather strange things. No change there. I havnt read any books yet I started animal farm for the kids and me. But I could see their heads
      Drooping in boredom so then I changed to gangsta granny which they seem to enjoy more however we appear to be watching movies at night so books have gone out of the window. The hol so far has been colourful with first a mouldy chalet which I got us moved out of then first proper day after the move my son wipes out on his skateboard and we think he has broken his wrist so nearly a full day at accident and emergency oh the joy! I swear I’ve never seen so much snot fly from my child’s face nor tears but turns out it was badly bruised. He obviously has a low pain threshold which doesn’t bode well for rugby. Meanwhile we discovered teddy has fleas we think either that or an ear infection so we have to wash both dogs I think on hindsight he has an ear infection as he’s clawing at his ear and now seems to have sunburn omg!!!! He’s pink and when I put my sunglasses on he looks like a lobster!!! Can you imagine that? Anyway you can see some of this on my Instagram which is on my blog page if you wish hehe!
      Your well? X

• April 16, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Hey there – happy hols, sorry about your son, but I see he is a proper british boy so being sent off to play rugby – stiff upper lip :)? Regarding the dogs – ear scratching, have you looked inside? Picked up parasites somewhere – youd see if it looked infected of course, but you are the expert of anal prolaps in dogs so I am sure you can handle an ear πŸ™‚ oh and last comment when I was in Israel my observation was that everyone who properly english went bright lobster colour in the sun, it’s just the way it’s supposed to be, so your dog obviously qualifies!

• April 16, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Haha well stiff upper lip usually results in wobbly snotty lip if he gets hurt hence he doesn’t like rugby. Dog bums and ears are at opposite ends so maybe I am not so good the head end :-p but we are at the beach maybe he got some ice cream in it!!! I’m a dark red head so I know about the lobster look these days I cover up for many reasons some being age and gravity related I don’t want to scare the locals!! Xx

• April 16, 2014 at 6:49 AM

Are you doing 201?

• April 16, 2014 at 11:32 AM

I have no idea – you wrote day one of the 201 blogging challenge? So I guessed that meant 201 days?

5. April 16, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Good luck on your challenges. You are off to a good start, and I look forward to reading the next ones. What a great writing exercise!

• April 16, 2014 at 6:52 AM

Heh thank you I hope it doesn’t get too complicated until I return this weekend as writing that post from my small phone took me hours lol x

6. April 16, 2014 at 1:33 AM

Your enthusiasm and plans are very definite … I wish you well with all of them.

quite as an aside.. you mention being locked out for awhile .. I have known others with difficulties…one who was literally locked out for weeks because she had trouble proving she was the owner of her blog.. and one more recently who is not locked out because she has not yet activated it on her mobile phone but who can’t disable the two step because she also doesn’t have any of the identifying codes to prove it’s her blog. How did you fare when you had the problem… Diane

• April 16, 2014 at 7:04 AM

Yes I got locked out half way through the process. Now I’m locked out of being able to use my tablet with my eclectic blog until I get back from
      Hols but I can still use my phone but it’s not easy that post took me hours to write heh. I had printed off the codes plus my computer had crashed half way through which didn’t help so I went back to basics to start it again and it showed me what I had and had not done! You can’t open it on your phone unless you’ve completed it on the computer and downloaded the google authentication on your phone. The mobile ap generates a new password each time you log in. Once I was logged in I didn’t dare log out again. I shall be removing this all when I get home as 201 have said we don’t need it now!
      X

• April 16, 2014 at 9:18 AM

It’s so good you had the codes. My friend didn’t because she really had no idea what everything meant, and so now she can’t even disable the two-step which is straightforward…because she had no codes. I hooked her up with WP support and she’s waiting to see if there is another way to prove she’s the owner. It is so so bad to do that two step I think anyway… Diane

7. April 16, 2014 at 4:09 AM

I personally suggest you had better write short story collection for children or adult,justine.

• April 16, 2014 at 7:19 AM

Thank you! Is that a recommendation after reading my blog or an borne from knowing the best market avenue ? πŸ™‚ sometimes my children stories go a bit wild and nutty bit like Mr Wallisms cross Spike Miloghan but moreso lol x

8. April 16, 2014 at 7:38 AM

Like LG Alexander,longman group who has successfully published a collection of stories in PRACTICE AND PROGRESS. It is used by many institutions here for studying English as second language.:-)