Weekly Photo Challenge: on top & Random Moments of Delight #16

In this post I am combining the Weekly Photo Challenge and Meghan, aka Firebonnets, Random Moments of Delight.

You can skip to the photos if you don’t wish to read my tales of accomplishments and delight of course…easy to find!

– Sara Rosso set the Weekly Photo Challenge this week and the criteria in her words are:

In a post created specifically for this challenge, share a photo that means On Top!

So today is Easter Sunday, I would like firstly to say Happy Easter to all of those who happen to stumble upon my blog or happen to read it regularly, I hope you are having a spiffing day and a beautiful weekend all in all!

Some of you might know that I have been away in North Devon for this last week, came home yesterday.  It is somewhere I try to visit each year, same place, a small chalet stuck next to the sand dunes which are next to the beach, it is a no brainer for me, so beautiful and what I call my slice of English Barbados.

Some of you will also know that I have suffer from chronic pain.  There are challenges I undertake, moreso on holiday, not sure whether it was the salty air or what, but it started off like this.

My son discovered a red plastic toboggan in the shed that belongs to the owners of the chalet.

“Oh lets take this out to the sand dunes” he said.

I promptly said “I really don’t think it will work well on the sand”.

Being a determined 8yr old he paid no heed to his mothers advice and took it anyway.  Off we went.

I said to him “there are some rules if you use this, you go to the top of the dune and wait please, because I have my new camera and wish to take some photos of you coming down and there is no way I am climbing up there, understood?”  He nodded, mumbled, “yes mummy” and off he went.

I really didn’t have any intention of climbing the sand dune, just expected to take some pics from the bottom.  I watched him go up, and up, and up, I shouted “wait up there, stop please that’s the spot, get ready to attempt to come down”.

sand dune

At the TOP of the sand dune

Did he listen?

Heck did he.  He totally ignored me and went off.

Now the sand dunes is a vast space, my husband had disappeared by this stage down to the beach with the dogs, so it was me and my 11yr old together.

So up we went up this bloody sand dune and I say bloody because the air was far bluer than that having to go up it.  The sand was loose and really really hard to climb, the incline being very steep. I was just slipping and slipping down all the time.

My 11yr old struggled yet manfully held out his hand to pull me up. I got to the top and though my muscles were having a good old shout I made it and felt fabulous for that accomplishment.  My back held out…hooorah!

shadow and sand dune

Hooorah me at the TOP of the sand dune.

Next job was to find my youngest who was nowhere to be seen, the sandy dune area was vast.

I do odd things when annoyed or stress floats in to my veins, sometimes to disperse the sensation, I act the fool or do something stupid.  Here is mummy pretending to be some kind of sand dune cat trying to find her youngest scoundrel of a child.

woman in sand dune

Sand dune cat searching for missing children

So off we set over the sand dunes to find errant child.

sand dunes

Searching over the terrain of sand.

Finally he shows up, mummy was not in the best of moods, so we decided seeing as he had already had some fun, we should have some fun too.

You can probably see the incline of the dunes from the photo above.

Yes wicked mummy and older brother set youngest who I will say was full of keenness to attempt to go down the large incline….evidence below, suffice to say it wasn’t a particular success on the achievement front, however all of us including him, had a very good laugh!

So there we have a few random moment of delights and on top photos in keeping with the challenge set!

Happy Easter again and thank you for reading!

© Justine @ Eclecitidoddsnsods.com

Lets keep in touch!

Lets keep in touch!

48 comments for “Weekly Photo Challenge: on top & Random Moments of Delight #16

1. April 20, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Gorgeous! My lovely fiancée and her big kids! (How come your sons look bigger than a few weeks earlier?)

2. April 20, 2014 at 6:06 PM

What a fun post – despite your dune-climbing hassles. The sand looks lovely – so fine and clean. It reminds me of childhood days at the dunes near Lake Michigan where I grew up.

Your son’s sledding was a good adventure even if the speed didn’t quite work out. His curls are darling – does he get those from you or husband? I want to hug him and you!!

• April 20, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Hah your words are so sweet. My hair is kind of kinky, not quiet curly, not quite straight, but hubby or shrek as I call him is of Bajaan/Indian routes, so he has the proper curly hair or did, he’s now shiny bald LOL, xx

• April 20, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Shrek 🙂 sweet moniker 🙂

I wonder what he calls you!!

• April 20, 2014 at 7:09 PM

haha you really don’t want to know, actually the story behind it is quite sweet and he’s rather proud of the name, but we are an odd family hehex

• April 20, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Sammy, I too am a Michigander and grew up going to Sleeping Bear Dunes… such a small world 🙂

• April 20, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Oh my! And it took Justine in the UK to connect us! That’s the magic of the blogging world. i’ve lived in Colorado for almost 35 years. I keep meaning to take Hub to Sleeping Bear Dunes on a trip “home” but there are always too many other family activities taking up our visiting time!

• April 20, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Awe well I am hoping my pictures of the dunes inspire you both to re-visit 😀

• April 20, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Amazing, isn’t it? I understand, never enough days in a vacation to fit everything in 🙂

• April 20, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Exactly. Over way too soon c

• April 20, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Nancy, I wonder how big that gigantic dune from childhood would seem now to me! My worst sunburns came from those summers. But oh, how we loved that place. I grew up in the Buchanan-Berrien Springs area. What about you? (Sorry Justine for yakking to Nancy on your blog LOL)

• April 21, 2014 at 12:10 AM

We were at the dunes just a few years back Sammy, and they still seemed massive to me! Ahh yes, one can achieve the “perfect” sunburn there, Lol. I’ve always lived in the SE region, currently Oakland County, pretty much smack dab in the middle of Detroit and Lansing. (see what you started Justine! xx)

• April 21, 2014 at 7:42 AM

Hehe my ears are wagging and girls you must be careful about sunburn it’s the younger years that count the most on that front if you have kids cover them up! Gets off soap box 🙂

• April 21, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Words of wisdom indeed!

• April 21, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Comes from being burnt horrendously as a kid myself and being a red head and specializing in skin issues from my days of holistic therapy 😀

• April 21, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Your talents and knowledge are never ending! I too come from the school of “been there, done that” and hence.,, lesson learned! 🙂

• April 21, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Hah, my step father used to say Jack of all trades Master of none, however I definitely did Master being a holistic therapist. 🙂

• April 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Good for you! Is this day and age holistic is the way to go, especially in dealing with chronic pain, in my personal experience.

• April 21, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Yes I prefer holistic, it’s getting the right therapy and therapist that works for you, sometimes that is a costly search! x

• April 21, 2014 at 5:35 PM

No doubt!

• April 21, 2014 at 5:38 PM

🙂

• April 21, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Hey I don’t mind it’s interesting for me as I am naturally nosy lol xx plus it’s xute

• April 20, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Awe…It’s so nice when people find things in common on this blogosphere x

• April 20, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Agreed 🙂

• April 20, 2014 at 9:46 PM

🙂

• April 20, 2014 at 10:03 PM

And by the way…thanks for the introduction to Sammy!

• April 20, 2014 at 10:10 PM

A pleasure 🙂 does a whoopee of joy! Now I need to meet locals or find a teleporters hehe x

• April 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM

😀 Use the teleporter…come visit!

• April 21, 2014 at 7:40 AM

Heh I would sheesh all that food I would have visited weeks ago and yes of course to see you too..I’m teasing! I’d love to meet many of my chatty blogger friends inc you would be fab imagine fiesta Friday with a teleported would be manic lol

3. April 20, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Justine…lovely commentary! So happy you survived the climb! The view looks well worth it 🙂

• April 20, 2014 at 7:10 PM

🙂 Oh it was a stunning holiday, i love it there and feel utterly miserable the day I have to leave LOL..but hey I have something to look forward to again 😀

• April 20, 2014 at 10:01 PM

There you go… a positive attitude shall take you far! (and back on vacation!)

• April 20, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Oh Yus I’m booking the chalet again when the office opens lol

4. April 20, 2014 at 9:50 PM

That was a fab bit of insight into you, love your pics. Days like that are memory days. Plus I love Cornwall, we were in Newquay last summer x 🙂

• April 20, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Oh wow I didn’t realise your in the UK woohoo most people I meet blogging are abroad! Hello to another Brit then. I’ve not been to Cornwall in ages but might attempt in the summer x

5. April 21, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Lovely post! Great shots! 🙂

6. April 21, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Lovely pictures! I wish we had had such sunny weather over the easter weekend 😉

• April 21, 2014 at 6:31 PM

i really think we were lucky and the sea air helped it be all the much better x

7. April 22, 2014 at 2:17 AM

Wow Justine! What a great post. And what a remarkable thing to climb all those sand dunes. Tremendous… I’m jumping up and down in celebration. 😀 I love alllll of your pictures, but my fave is the one of you “cat searching for missing children”. You are wonderfully silly and I love it. Truly a member of the FireBonnet Tribe (all spunky, sassy redheads are you know).

• April 22, 2014 at 6:14 AM

Hehe I liked that pic too just for the content and memory. I remember my 11yr old taking the pic and laughing calling me ‘crazy mum’. Those times when his hormonal moodiness disappears and he can’t help but have that unhindered joyful smile and then that makes my day! Yes oh boy those sand dunes were some kind of exercise class really hard work but so worth it with the view, beats an exercise class any day, not that I’ve done one for years hehe! Thank you for popping by to chat ❤