Fiesta Friday #22 ~ cooking gone crazy, or me gone crazy?

Fiesta Friday #22

I have been cooking mad this week.  I was going to include a recipe I had to do for a Roald Dahl day at my son’s school in which we made fudge/toffee, not sure which it was meant to be.

It was at the point he said “mummy it isn’t meant to look normal, all the book food is odd,put some green colouring in it,” that’s when things started to go drastically wrong.

The fudge remained relatively sloppy with a tinge that wasn’t green just a kind of I am ill look to it. So we stuck haribos on top of it to make it look even odder, but I must admit it tasted nice.

He took it in and came back with half still there, I was rather surprised and said “how come so much back?”  He said “because they said it didn’t look right”.  At that point I slapped my forehead in frustration “wasn’t that the whole idea?”

click for the – Ultimate fudge recipe from Carnation

So moving on I am trying to find a diet for my family that might help a) with my pain reduction and b) be healthier, presumably the two might go hand in hand.  So I was trying to cut down sugar, then gluten free then keep to alkaline and not acid, OMG too much for me, totaly overload, turns out I must live on water!

I managed to get some ‘healthy’ meals ready in my mind, get the goods, print off the recipes from various sources and am going to start with a healthy smoothie that contains spinach, argh you would think I  had suggested to my children for them to  chop off their legs when that came to light, a smoothie containing spinach, there was nearly rioting in the house.

But I am strong, I am resisting, I will if needs be trick them!

Tonight we are having kedgeree, it’s still cooking so I am afraid no photos, but at lunch I was rather proud of myself, ticking nearly all the requirements off above which is a feat and a one off and made all by myself, a salad!

There is no fancy  method or ingredients, it consists of basically the following:

Ingredients

• Handful of fresh spinach enough for however much you want for one plate
  • 4 cherry tomatoes sliced in half
  • Pre-cooked petite pois
  • Pre-soaked and cooked haricot beans
  • some small cubes of goats cheese
  • basil
  • pomegranate seeds

Then I made up my special dressing:

• Olive oil
  • a quarter of fig balsam vinegar which I bought from Oil and Vinegar (OMG it is so good)
  • tiny dash of honey
  • tip of teaspoon of wholegrain mustard
  • dash of dill

Pour it on once you have decorated your plate nicely with the ingredients and bobs your uncle, eat away and don’t feel guilty!

© Justine @ Eclecticoddsnsods.com

So I hope you have a fantastic weekend, the sun might be shining here in the UK if it feels like it, time for Pimms me thinks!!

Huggles from Justine x

61 comments for “Fiesta Friday #22 ~ cooking gone crazy, or me gone crazy?

1. June 27, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Your salad looks very delicious Justine 🙂

2. June 27, 2014 at 4:20 PM

You are supposedly able to live on water alone, let’s say… for a month tops, only if you sit still meditating the whole time. And not if you’re very active. I don’t mind the meditating part, but I sure heck mind the water part. At least give me some tea! But I hear you on eating healthy. Been trying to do it myself. You’re succeeding better than I am. Your salad looks much healthier than my omelet! Good job, Justine! 🙂

• June 27, 2014 at 5:00 PM

haha awe i love your omelette you are tempting me gal!! 😀

3. Lainey
    June 27, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Love Haribos lol! However that salad looks gorgeous xx

• June 28, 2014 at 5:50 PM

I try to ban haribos now i know what to feed you if you ever visit 🙂 lol

4. Phoenix Tears Healed
    June 27, 2014 at 8:35 PM

‘it isn’t meant to look normal’ wise words to help us not only in in our writings paintings cookings but in our selves too, the ability to be uniquely who we are, shaking off the fetters and uncurling 🙂

5. June 27, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Thank you for the lovely salad.

It looks like you’re going through the old elimination diet torture routine. Been there – we ended up calling it the food-free diet we got so annoyed! Your salad wouldn’t quite make the grade (it has legumes), but I love these beans: so i can make a big plate just for me! Thank you again.

• June 28, 2014 at 5:52 PM

haha yes food free diet your right i think and its only a couple of days so hanging in there lol cant be too much of a lightweight, just made shrimp and okra soup with ghee instead of olive oil so not doing too bad! grins xx

6. June 27, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Welcome to Fiesta Friday, Justine!! I loved your story about the fudge…and if anyone knows Roald Dahl, then they would know that it was the perfect fudge to bring to the party! I would eat it. Happily. As for the salad…it’s gorgeous! It’s the perfect dish to bring to our table…thank you so much for sharing.. ❤

• June 28, 2014 at 5:54 PM

a pleasure to share well if you ever come over i shall feed you fudge 🙂 Then maybe salad after hehe, cos that is kinda weird like Mr Dahl would want it, grins xx

7. June 28, 2014 at 1:05 AM

Fabulous looking salad.

• June 28, 2014 at 5:55 PM

thank you….feeling rather righteous after eating that lol…wont last x

8. June 28, 2014 at 1:41 AM

That is one beautiful salad – and the fudge looks pretty good to me – even if it does seem to have a small fried egg in one corner. Not sure about the Pimms, but I’m sure you deserved it.

• June 28, 2014 at 5:56 PM

haha the fried egg is a haribos and yeh Mr Dahl likes odd the pimms is a regular treat, i guess regular and treat conflict? grins

9. June 28, 2014 at 2:47 AM

I’m laughing about the stuff your son brought and the whole story of it! 🙂 that salad looks great Justine!

• June 28, 2014 at 4:50 AM

I loved your post. And the salad looks incredible even though I don’t know some of the ingredients. I’ve never heard of kedgeree either but I checked it out on the web and it looks really good. I think I will try it too!

• June 28, 2014 at 6:10 AM

Hehe I will be posting the recipe next Friday honestly it was soooo good and healthy too! The kids wolfed it down it’s a recipe my mum used to cook for me as a kid a lot yum xx

• June 28, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Wonderful! I will wait to get your recipe then!

When I looked it up on the internet I read that it had its origins in the Indian kitchiri. I thought that was really interesting.

• June 28, 2014 at 6:39 PM

yes and I just cooked another Indian meal, i think theyre food seems to be healthier or maybe I am imagining it hehe x

• June 28, 2014 at 6:47 PM

It depends what you are cooking. They also eat lots of sweets and fried food! But a lot of the meals are healthier I think.

• June 28, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Oooh yes sweeties my weakness is chocolate or Banoffiee pie or tiramisu or erm meringue lol yum!

• June 28, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Indian chocolate you wouldn’t want so that isn’t a temptation there.

Two of the items you mention I haven’t heard of. I will have to check out them out. Tiramisu I know!

• June 28, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Oh I feel I might be sweetly tempting you! What do they say a taste on the lips is an inch on the hips hehe

• June 28, 2014 at 8:45 PM

It certainly is for me. I’ve been seeing pictures of me in my teens and 20s the last few days. Oh how I have changed. I didn’t realize I was every THAT thin.

BTW…. I’m about to hit publish on a post that is as important to me as the racism one I did much earlier. I wrote it to meet the last Writing 101 assignment, but it has much more importance to me than a simple assignment..

• June 29, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I saw it! What an amazing post, I did comment 🙂 xx

• June 29, 2014 at 4:15 PM

I’ve read your amazing comment. Thanks so much.

• June 29, 2014 at 4:18 PM

pleasure, huggles x

• June 29, 2014 at 4:59 PM

slight surprise for you on my last post which is the random moment of delight x

• June 29, 2014 at 5:08 PM

I already saw it. It wasn’t a slight surprise, it was a BIG surprise. Thanks SO much.

I saw it because I received a notification that someone had linked to my post and looked to see what it was.

You certainly created a random moment of delight in my day.

• June 29, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Hehe that’s great really is x

• June 28, 2014 at 5:56 PM

yay always glad when i made you laugh, lol cant believe it came back was quite insulted lol x

10. June 28, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Your salad is calling my name, Justine! I want to eat this and be healthy!! 🙂

• June 28, 2014 at 5:57 PM

haha oh blimey does it talk, omg I think it is going to faint, but seriously could you eat a salad that was chatting to you? I would feel too bad 😛

11. June 28, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Your salad looks very nice, Justine 🙂

• June 28, 2014 at 5:58 PM

yay thank you, looks can be deceiving but it was good and healthy yay two birds with one stone x

12. June 28, 2014 at 11:00 AM

That is the perfect summery-looking salad! So many nice ones this week! Good job you had it yesterday while the sun was still out – it’s raining here now in Berkshire, and we had a huge BBQ planned for tonight – got a huge loin of pork in the oven for pulling, and an enormous chicken marinading in piri-piri! If it rains this evening….argh!

• June 28, 2014 at 6:37 PM

wow sounds nice and if your in Berkshire your not far from me, I am in London, East Sheen, I used to ride in Great Windsor Park, miss it x

• June 28, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I work in Central London, and a couple of my best friends who are marrying in September live in East Sheen, so I know it pretty well! My sister is a riding instructor at Wimbledon Village Stables – it’s not far from you, and the rides on Wimbledon Common are pretty lovely too! You should check it out! x

• June 28, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Well I pressed the follow button to keep in touch 🙂 my riding days I suspect are over as I suffer chronic pain mainly back chest area so that activity pretty much out but I do miss horses! I just bought some manure for the garden and I love the smell haha! Perhaps I should go and groom a horse or something 🙂 nice to meet someone nesrby

• June 28, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Ha ha, we walk past a stables with the dogs and my boyfriend thinks I am so weird always taking a big deep breath near the muck pile! 🙂 Glad I am not the only one! Sorry to hear about your pain. I understand a little as I’ve had undiagnosed near daily headaches for over a year now. Tends to get in the way of life a little, even if you try not to let it. Next time I am.down your way I shall give you a shout if I may? X

13. June 28, 2014 at 11:07 AM

That olive dressing sure looks great!
    And you’re such a great mum for spending so much time with your kids and taking part in their follies! 🙂

• June 28, 2014 at 6:38 PM

haha thank you for the compliment, well the follies are often driven by the teachers who seem to rule our lives, they are making up things all the time for us to do!! xx

14. June 29, 2014 at 2:02 PM

that fudge looks pretty good to me I would have eaten it haha! The salad looks great too, I always try to eat healthy and it never lasts long – last week started with a kale salad and ended with beer battered fried fish tacos haha

• June 29, 2014 at 4:16 PM

lol thats funny sounds like me lol, i love battered fish mm yum

15. June 29, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Bahahah “…it didn’t look right…”…oh man, I’m dying! 😀

16. June 30, 2014 at 3:03 AM

You have been cooking up some yumminess !😄😄

17. June 30, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Gorgeous looking salad, so fresh and tasty looking! Got your link from the novice gardener’s Fiesta Friday

• July 2, 2014 at 11:19 AM

awe glad you like it, its going to becoming a running theme for other things I think! 🙂

18. July 2, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Justine, I like your story about the fudge. I understand your frustration with eating healthy. I have been doing all that you mentioned for almost 18 months now with 99% success. I see a big change in myself. I believe what you eat is what you are. That’s what inspired me to venture into the world of blogging.
    I love your salad. Best of luck with your lifestyle change.

• July 2, 2014 at 1:02 PM

awe thank you its great to hear of success stories i must take a good look through your recipes then, di dyou do it for general health or do you suffer pain? xx

19. July 11, 2014 at 7:06 AM

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I’ve truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts.

In any case I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope
    you write again very soon!