Jamaican Macaroni & parmesan chicken
We had a street party a few weeks back and last minute I found out that the food was meant to be themed to wherever ones ancestory might have hailed from.
I have a mixture, however shreks family comes from the Carribbean. Now I don’t know if you have ever eaten food from Barbados but OOOOOMMMMGGGG it is just my favorite, apart from Thai of course.
I have always loved maraconi cheese, however Bajan macaroni is a pie rather than the slightly sloppier British version. I tried the Jamaican version however, this was more like the British but not quite so sloppy however tasted fantastic.
The chicken dish was mega easy and hailed from nowhere particular it was what I had in mind to cook already.
Teamed up with salad is just perfect.
Today I also had a little Friday party of my own. Shrek’s side of the family who he had not seen for over 30 yrs, crickey, came over from woohoo Canada and had lunch. It was a chicken feast again and raspberry and chocolate cake, just to get your taste buds drooling. Very excitingly I got given some maple syrup, the proper stuff from Canada, not the stuff over here the costs a fortune. It tickled me pink as I have a couple of blogger buddy friends who have actual maple trees in their garden and it is only since knowing them that I have come to understood that maple syrup is almost like the wine industry in who has the best quality etc etc, so I am looking forward very much to trying this one. 🙂
Below you will find links to where I got my recipes
12 oz (375g) Elbow macaroni (+2 Tbsp salt for boiling water)
2 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp All-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups Milk
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/8 to 1/4 tsp Ground nutmeg, salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups Grated old cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup Finely grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup Bread crumbs
Cook 12 oz pasta in a pot of salted, boiling water for about 12 minutes or until tender (do not overcook).
Drain well and set aside.
Prepare cheese sauce:
1. Meanwhile, heat butter in large saucepan over medium heat until melted.
2. Add flour and whisk for 1 minute until mixture is just bubbling.
3. Gradually whisk in milk stirring rapidly to avoid lumps; stir until sauce boils and begins to thicken. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered.
4. Stir in mustard, nutmeg and salt & pepper to taste; stir occasionally for 5 minutes or until thickened; remove from heat.
5. Stir in 1 cup cheddar cheese until melted and combined.
6. Fold pasta into sauce and stir until combined.
Layer Mac & Cheese:
1. Pour 1/2 of the pasta mixture into a 2L glass or ceramic casserole.
2. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheddar and 1/4 cup mozzarella on the bottom layer.
3. Pour remaining pasta mixture and spread as a top layer.
4. Sprinkle remaining cheddar and mozzarella on the top layer.
5. Sprinkle 1/4 cup parmesan and 1/4 cup bread crumbs on the top layer.
Bake in preheated oven at 350F (180C) for 30 minutes.
Serves 10 to 12.
- One whole chicken to joint at home or jointed in 6 or 8 pieces
- 3 eggs
- 2 oz. breadcrumbs.
- 2 oz. parmesan cheese
- 2oz. butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley (or 1/2 dry pasley)
- 5 garlic cloves
- 5 strands of saffron
- cooking salt and pepper
preparing and cooking the parmesan recipe
Put the garlic cloves, the parsley and the saffron in the mortar with a teaspoon of cooking salt and make a purée with the pestle.
Whisk the eggs well in a bowl and season with salt and pepper
Lay the joints in a large pan in a single layer
Mix the eggs with the garlic purée
Coat the joints with the mix and put them in the refrigerator for 2 hours
Preheat the oven 350ºF (180ºC)
Put the butter in the roasting pan and place it in the oven to melt
Mix the parmesan and the breadcrumbs together with the olive oil.
Coat the chicken in the breadcrumbs
Now is time to bake the chiken: put the joints in the roasting pan using the upper rack and let them cook for 20 minutes
Remove the grease of the pan and let them cook for another 5 minutes
So are you partying hard and eating my macaroni?
Now I am hungry again!
Happy Weekending, Justine xxx
© Justine Nagaur Eclecticoddsnsods.com