Weekly Photo Challenge: Descent & #NaBloPoMo Day 1

Weekly Photo Challenge: Descent & #NaBloPoMo Day 1

The first few photos are of Clovelly Village which I have written about before.

However, the whole village is just one street, this street beautifully laden with restored cobblestones, kept to their original state from years back.  This village is so steep one cannot drive through it, you have to either park at the top or bottom and walk the rest of the way.

Hence I thought this a perfect representation of Descent from the Weekly Photo challenge, the original link of which you will find here:  Weekly Photo Challenge:  Descent

Clovelly Village the lovely long steep cobblestone walk

Clovelly Village the lovely long steep cobblestone walk

At the bottom of the steep cobblestone path is the most amazing Harbour.  At points on the way down one could see views over the sea through pink blossom or over whitewashed walls making me reminisce of teenage holidays in Greece or Portugal.

Clovelly Village view down to the Harbour

Clovelly Village view down to the Harbour

The Harbour in itself is simply fantastic, a photo opportunity not to be missed with the waters out and all the seaweed laden stone and wood, split driftwood, boats and old fishing items.

What is it about the fascination for rust, do you have this as a photographer?  I was told that many ‘amateur’ photographers have a fascination with decay and rust.

Though of course I do put myself in this category it did make me chuckle, will it be something I should aspire to grow out of?  Will this mean I am no longer an ‘amateur photographer’.  If so I think I will stay the same as I really do enjoy a bit of deterioration.

Clovelly Village - the Harbour

Clovelly Village – the Harbour

Descending the Dunes in Devon

Next we have our Summer Holiday in Devon.  We stayed right next to the sand dunes.

Visually I appreciate the beauty of what I call these magnificent creatures, but with my back issues, slightly fear them.

However my 8yr old took one look, nabbed a snow toboggan from somewhere, which actually was totally unsuitable and climbed to the top.

He then hurled himself down with vigour, on a few occasions he came flying off at speed as the vehicle he was travelling on just stopped!

However as you can see by the last photograph he discovered a sort of sand cliff and adopted the ‘no fear no gain’ attitude and went hell for leather over it.

No broken bones I am pleased to say just a few more grey hairs for me.

Devon my youngest speeding down the sand dunes

Devon my youngest speeding down the sand dunes

Devon my youngest speeding down the sand dunes

Devon my youngest speeding down the sand dunes

Devon my youngest speeding down the sand dunes

Devon my youngest speeding down the sand dunes

NaBloPoMo

NaBloPoMo_November

NaBloPoMo_November

Now to go on to the Nano thingy, which is a double challenge, one to write a novel in a month, which I am NOT doing, the other to post daily during November.  You will see here the official badge, so if you come across one of my posts or anothers you know that is what they are doing, you can also click the badge to go to one of the organizers blog to find out more about it or here:  NaBloPoMo blogher

Nano Poblano 2014

Nano Poblano 2014

There is however some kind of peppery gang on wordpress gathering together also joining in the united fun, you will find the official image here and the main organizers so I believe here (stand to be corrected if wrong!)

markbialczak

Sheena

However how long I last I have no idea.  I might need a rocked up my backside to keep me going or some encouragement (looks around to any readers and fellow bloggers).

I hope you are having a fab weekend so far!

© Justine, Eclecticoddsnsods.com

39 comments for “Weekly Photo Challenge: Descent & #NaBloPoMo Day 1

1. NotAPunkRocker
    November 1, 2014 at 7:06 PM

I love the pictures and your take on the prompt 🙂

Actually, the event for the Peppers was organized by Rarasaur, who is unable to be here right now. I was talking to bloggers I met through her site and we decided to see if people wanted to resurrect it. I just asked the question and the response was positive.

Mark is the rock star who agreed to be the “host” site for people to find each other, and Fish of Gold designed our Peppery banners 🙂

• November 1, 2014 at 7:20 PM

I think irs a great idea the blogher site though great is a bit ocerwhelming and confusing fir me right now lol so its nice to meet other wp buddies and have it sumoler 🙂 xx

2. November 1, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Your descents are very nice. You scared me for a moment when I thought you’re set up to write a novel in November! Not that I wouldn’t want to read it. Good luck with your post-a-day challenge then! In November I’m taking photography 101 with WordPress, so I’m not in for this one…

• November 1, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Do they do this each month? Im doing photography too so should postpone if a monthly thing x

• November 1, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Hm, I’m afraid both challenges will only be in November… But WordPress is likely to repeat the challenge in a few months, I think…

3. November 1, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Thanks for the memory. I visited clovelly as a child it was a strange and impressive place. Which Devon beach was it?

• November 1, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Its an amazing place newly discovered by us but devin we go to each yesr already booked next years 🙂 the beach is saunton sands x

• November 1, 2014 at 10:36 PM

I havent visited that one. Dont forget south devon. Thats where i grew up. It is lovely.

• November 3, 2014 at 9:21 AM

ah yes, we are suckers for North Devon though we call it our English Barbados heeh x

4. November 2, 2014 at 3:08 AM

Justine, i get such a kick out of your photos and adventures. Of course after a couple crashes, I can barely look at your dare-devil so s, but am happy you don’t let your fears get in their way.

You GO with your challenges this month and I’ll be happy to nudge your arse if you start dragging 🙂 💖💗💞 hey, what’re friends for if not a kick in the butt?

• November 3, 2014 at 9:27 AM

hah I knew you would like kicking my butt. Yeh Joshua has no fear at all which is rather worrying but amusing at times, I just have to pull the reins ever so hard sometimes x

5. November 2, 2014 at 4:38 AM

Very lovely photos. I signed up for the blogging challenge and I am on the Nano poblano team as well. I live in California, USA. I am assuming you are in the UK. Come check out my blog sometime. Where exactly is Clovelly Village?

• November 3, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Ah then you must be as crazy as me doing it all hehe. I lost where the Poblano story went that was on the blog hop, did you see it?

clovely village is in Devon, if you google it you can see all kinds of pictures on it, it is amazing.

I will pop by your blog and thank you for visiting mine, hope to stay in touch x

6. November 2, 2014 at 7:28 AM

Fab photos! I love Clovelly, such a bonkers place. Good luck with your challenges xx

• November 3, 2014 at 9:29 AM

It’s amazing, we will prob go again next Easter, but its nowhere near you? If it is we should meet next year :0

7. November 2, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Great photos Justine. Clovely looks amazing. Good luck with the challenges!

• November 3, 2014 at 9:29 AM

yes you should visit and thanks for the good luck, will you kick my butt if i lag behind? lol PS picnic next year or Harrods?

8. November 2, 2014 at 2:02 PM

I love the pictures, it looks absolutely beautiful there.

I thought the NaBloPoMo was restricted to the US?? I read the terms of it before it started and it said you have to be a US citizen to enter, I’m a bit annoyed with myself now 😦 xx

• November 3, 2014 at 9:31 AM

I think you have until the 5th to enter it sweetie, go to the blogher site x

9. November 2, 2014 at 2:28 PM

It looks like a lovely place. Love your fearless eight year old. Wish I was that brave. good luck with making it through the month.

10. November 2, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Very lovely, Justine. 🙂

11. November 2, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Lovely photos! Where is this village? I’m also doing the Poblano thingy. See you around!

• November 3, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Yes see you on the crazy busy challenge and Clovelly is in north Devon, you should google it, it is amaizng 😀

12. November 4, 2014 at 1:38 AM

Great shots! And good luck with NaBloPoMo!

• November 4, 2014 at 4:02 PM

thank you i think i need ti doing a double challenge lol xx

13. November 4, 2014 at 5:30 AM

Great pictures! I love the perspective of the cobblestones and the harbor with all the steps. The sand dunes remind me of where my siblings, friends, and I would play ditch in the dark when our families went oystering. Fun memories! Thanks for bringing them to the surface 🙂

• November 4, 2014 at 4:05 PM

awe i love bringing memories, good ones back to people by photos, such a great thing and thank you for commenting x