#Photography101: Water & #NaBloPoMo Day 5

Water

I had a little grumble when I woke up this morning and saw the challenge ‘water’ for the Photography101 challenge for today.  Not only because my immediate thought was that I would have to go outside but yes I have that miserable winter bug caught from my children over half term, they always like to share the little darlings.

So the prospect of going outside wasn’t an appealing one but actually in hindsight it does tend to make one feel better and ‘clear out the cobwebs’ so to speak.

So I found a puddle, yep not some roaring ocean or majestic river flowing over sparkling stones but a puddle!

I am taking on Cheri’s advice from yesterday and finding art or interest in the mundane and seriously, how more mundane than a puddle. right?

I live in the UK, so puddles are as common as queues here.

Now I took a vertical and horizontal shot of the puddle shots, as requested by the challenge, with my trusty steed, my iPhone6.

When I looked at the shots from my phone I preferred I thought the horizontal one, but now I see it on the blog I muchly prefer the vertical one.

I suppose that is part of the exercise right, to see how one image can be affected by the placement of the shot?

Why do I prefer the vertical.  Mainly because of the reflection in the puddle, it is a street lamp which is long and the vertical one to me accentuates this, whereas the horizontal one just squashes everything up.  So I have learn’t from this that perhaps long items do better on vertical shots, but I stand to be correct on that.

Puddles

Now in keeping with my writing for NaBloPoMo I feel I should do puddles some justice seeing as they are everywhere, often ignored, often misjudged!!!

Look at this puddle, what do you see?

It is a drinking well for little animals, survival for some, pleasure for others.

It holds the vestiges of Autumn, holding the leaves perhaps with their colour a little longer for our visual appreciation, should we care to look.

The puddle cleans tips of boots should they dare to wander through bringing joyful glee to children splashing through with vigour.

Puddles highlight rubbish like cigarette butts that people might toss their way, a silent plea to pick it up and put it away.

Puddles highlight the rest of the world through reflections like a mirror,

They cause pretty patterns when they are dappled by the droplets of rain, for all our amusement.

Puddles are in fact ART!!!

Can you think of anything else to say about puddles or am I completely nuts?

Horizontal Shot

Photography101: Water

Photography101: Water

Vertical shot

Photography101: Water

Photography101: Water

Macro Water

I thought I would continue the whole water and my slightly cold infested aka loopy loo state of mind back indoors and get arty farty with some macro water.

The shots below are taken with my Fuji Bridge Camera, the poor mans DSLR

What did I find with the first black and white picture below, did I learn anything?

For me, I enjoyed playing around with the colours, seeing that turning it black and white highlighted the line that water makes when inside glass.  I like the slight ripples that one can see, I am such a ripple girl!  What does that mean I hear you ask, I decline to answer.

Also I enjoy the distortion the water and glass give if you look above the line and below.

This is the Horizontal Shot

Photography101: Water

Photography101: Water

Vertical Shot

I got a bit arty farty again I am afraid.

Here I played with the colours a little and tried to work it to focus on the ripple on the right.  In doing so it almost becomes as bright as a light and again its a ripple and I am as said before a ‘ripple girl’.

Photography101: Water

Photography101: Water

Which photo do you prefer and why?  I would love to hear.

I was going to try and write a poem for the Nano thingy but exhaustion from this buggly wuggly thing has taken over and bed calls me for a mo de toe!!!

When I awake I shall eagerly respond to any and all comments for which I sleep and wait with eagerness.

Snuffly huggles, Justine x

© Justine Nagaur Eclecticoddnsods.com

Photography101

Photography101

Photography101 Water

#Photography101

NaBloPoMo_November

NaBloPoMo_November

NaBloPoMo

#NaBloPoMo

Nano Poblano 2014

Nano Poblano 2014

43 comments for “#Photography101: Water & #NaBloPoMo Day 5

1. November 5, 2014 at 1:32 PM

I really like the black and white. It’s all about the shapes in that one.

• November 5, 2014 at 3:57 PM

yes your right i just went back and had another look at it after you said that so thank you for discovering another aspect of it x

2. November 5, 2014 at 1:50 PM

I love the horizontal black and white too 🙂 xx

Liked by 2 people

• November 5, 2014 at 3:58 PM

thankies missus it is rather a funky one, almost abstract like my mind right now lol x

3. November 5, 2014 at 1:52 PM

You sure did a lot considering you were sick. I’m impressed! My favorite parts are the piece you wrote about puddles and the last two pictures. Hope you get well soon!

• November 5, 2014 at 3:58 PM

thank you on all counts and glad you like the puddle i feel like setting up a puddle society hehe. The last two I think are a little more what I would call arty, all good fun 🙂 xx

4. November 5, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Mm, I love your take on puddles! It was about time someone gave puddles the attention they rightly deserve 😉 I couldn’t decide whether I prefer the vertical or the horizontal puddle, which makes me more indecisive than you. Ha. And now please stay home and keep warm!

• November 5, 2014 at 4:03 PM

oh i will stay home defo and glad you like puddles as much as me we shgould start a puddle society!

• November 5, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Awe, yes!! A puddle society!! I’ve always loved puddles!! Can I be the president of the society? Pretty please??

5. November 5, 2014 at 3:17 PM

puddles ❤

6. NotAPunkRocker
    November 5, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I like the last one because of the colors and the focus.

I have no idea what to do with this prompt, not like i’m around a stream or anything.

Hope you feel better soon!

• November 5, 2014 at 4:02 PM

thank you re feeling better soon the polish builders outside ensured I would get no sleep well i got 10 mins and woke up startled by one shouting at the other amidst polish disco music it was really rather surreal!!! hugs x

7. November 5, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Puddle jumping! Feel better soon 🙂

8. November 5, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I like the pictures of the puddle at the beginning of the pictures. With your foot in that shot it looks like you’re about to step out into the world.

Puddles, as the child inside me shouts, are the joyous province of the young in mind and heart.

• November 5, 2014 at 4:00 PM

yes your right puddles are for the young and wow your take of my foot going in to another world is quite wild when I think about it too long lol, thank you for that what a great idea x

9. November 5, 2014 at 4:05 PM

If I had any sense about photography at all, I’d say the second pic. But I don’t, so don’t take me very seriously.

• November 5, 2014 at 4:47 PM

hah but thank you i always appreciate a comment and some feedback, i like no 2 then i get indecisive and think i like the arty ones xx

10. November 5, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Snuffly huggles right back at you, sniffy poo 💖 so sorry you caught the bug and, honestly, Justine! You are too much! The rest of us would snap ONE photo and call it a day, but YOU write a charming treatise on puddles, take a slew of lovely shots and evaluate their merits all while feeling like you got hit with a sledgehammer!

I like the first photo best for its lovey leaves and mood, but also because the toe of your boot gives just a hint of a human presence in an otherwise pristinely nature scene.

• November 5, 2014 at 4:48 PM

hah yes your right re the photo and it is the leaves that first attracted me….however getting out did do me some good i def feel worse in after a while, but wouldnt stay out too long so a catch 22 as they say hehe…huggles snugglys xx

11. November 5, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Who knew a simple little puddle could be so interesting? Beautiful, Justine. 🙂 Hope you’re feeling better soon…ahh, the joys of having children!

• November 6, 2014 at 3:25 PM

thank you and yes, i slept til 1pm which was a shocker for me, feeling slightly more sane now hehe, thank you so much xx

12. November 5, 2014 at 5:35 PM

All the shots are so beautiful that I just could not pick one!
    Loved them all!

13. November 5, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Great photos! 🙂

14. November 5, 2014 at 7:31 PM

In my mind these photos have done for the humble puddle what the fairy Godmother did for Cinderella. At midnight ( or after you leave with your camera ) it returns to being that small body of water left waiting to be heated to oblivion by the sun. The last photo was my favourite 🙂

• November 6, 2014 at 3:21 PM

haha thank you that is a great thing to say. made my day, i feel a puddle revolution coming on, hope to chat again xx

15. November 5, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Funny your post was about puddles, it’s been raining here all day and the “big” puddle in my front yard is calling my three year old grandsons name….:) He’s been singing about jumping and dancing in the big muddle puddle. Unfortunately it’s kinda cool and he’s got a cold so… there will be no jumping and dancing in the mud puddle today.
    Hope you feel better soon.

• November 6, 2014 at 3:21 PM

oh no, what a shame, I used to have waterproofs from head to feet lol, my kids were completely coverd so puddle jumping always happened but this was only after so many times of them coming home soaked hehe. I hope your grandson gets better soon…i slept til just after lunch so feeling woohoo today xx thank you

16. November 6, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Very cool and creative photo’s.

• November 6, 2014 at 3:19 PM

thank you, i am trying to get out of my box so to speak hehe x

17. November 9, 2014 at 1:15 AM

Cool shots, love the vertical water shot best as you said it puts everything in well without squashing.

• November 9, 2014 at 3:06 PM

yes its odd looking at it on differrent platforms changes my mind but vertical defo on the desktop, thank you so much for popping by and I hope your having a lovely weekend? x

18. November 13, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Thank you for the visit. All your shot are cool and likeable.

19. November 16, 2014 at 7:53 AM

amazing live of experience:)

Kindly support me on Facebook Fanpage. Appreciate if you could please ‘like’ my page :