Iconic Landmark or an eye sore?

Iconic Landmark or an eye sore?

The subject matter for todays Photography101 is Landmark and this is what they had to say:

Landmarks are everywhere: iconic places, meeting points, markers on a map. Today, consider a unique point of view as you photograph a landmark.

We often use locations to orient us, to identify where we are — from statues to town squares to corner shops. These landmarks on a map can be famous and instantly recognizable, or sometimes they’re simple markers to help us navigate.

Today, head outside and photograph a landmark. You can capture all or part of it; place it in the foreground and make it your focal point; or include it in the background.

Most of you know that I went to see the Tower of London Poppy Display for Remembrance Sunday, the post of which you will find here:

Blood Swept lands and Seas of Red, a poppy memorial to our fallen heroes at the Tower of London

There are so many landmarks in London that catch ones attention and become well known for different reasons I thought it would be hard to pick one.

As it turns out there was one that upon looking back through my photos of two days ago that came up time and time again, either I was attracted to it or it’s such an overwhelming feature that it encompasses a large part of the skyline.

What is that landmark?

The Shard

The Shard is an 87 storey skyscraper and for someone who suffers from vertigo that is probably why it caught my attention.  Construction of this dangerous looking building began in March 2009 and ended in November 2012, so relatively new compared to some iconic Landmarks like Big Ben etc.

The Shard, London

The Shard, London

It stands a whopping 309 metres high that’s 1,014 feet high for those of you who prefer metric.  It is currently the tallest building in the European Union and the second tallest free-standing structure in the United Kingdom.

It is glass clad, pyramidal in shape and has 72 habitable floors, a viewing gallery, open air observation deck on the 72nd floor, £25 entry but highly recommended.

It was designed by the Italian architect Renzo Piano and replaced Southwark Towers a 23 storey office block.  It is jointly owned by Sellar Property and the State of Qatar.

The top of The Shard, London

The Shard, London

My first instinct when I saw it was almost to wince.  Then curiosity took over at what on earth was at the top of it, as it looks like someone smashed the top portion off.

Then wild thoughts went through my head of what it must look like from an aerial view, ie aeroplane, but of course I doubt there is much to see from that height.

My mind then of course goes off in to orbit and thinks “oh boy what if someone fell from the skies as often happens!!!??? and dropped on it” but then of course size wise relatively, it’s not like they would end up impaled, they would be more likely to fall inside.

King Kong on the Empire State Building

King Kong on the Empire State Building

So then I counter this in my mind with I wonder how King Kong would fare on this rather than the Empire State Building?  OK I am showing you my crazy side now so I shall stop, these things normally don’t go further than the realms of my skull, probably just as well.

Of course if there are any photoshop experts out there who want to use my Shard picture and superimpose King Kong on there that would tickle me pink!!

So getting back to the ‘actual’ challenge. We are meant to take photos of this Landmark from different angles, composition, perspective etc etc, so here we go.

I took this photo with my mind mainly on the Tower of London, but I found myself distracted by a) the colours of the more modern building and b) the sharp contrast in shapes between them all c) The contrast in the old brick and architecture style of the Tower of London and the modern glass.

The Tower of London & The Shard

The Tower of London & The Shard

Here I was concentrating entirely on the Tower of London from a different angle and area.  Can you actually see The Shard, it is there, really it is!  It really does not want to be hidden, obviously.

The Tower of London & The Shard

The Tower of London & The Shard

After this I took The Shard from the other side of the water.  I brought the tree in to it as it gave a nice contrast of colour and perspective of distance etc, to me anyway, what do you think?

The Shard from across the river

The Shard from across the river

Here is another river one, without the tree.  What do you think, which one do you prefer, tree in or out?

The Shard from across the river

The Shard from across the river

So there you have it my entry for Landmarks, but what I would like to ask you, do you consider this of benefit to the skyline, an attractive piece of architecture or an eyesore?

I give no opinions myself to sway your opinion, but very interested to know what you think?

© Justine Nagaur Eclecticoddsnsods.com

Taken for:

Photography101

Photography101

Photography101: Landmark

#Photography101

#Photo101

NaBloPoMo_November

NaBloPoMo_November

NaBloPoMo Day 11

#NaBloPoMo

#TeamPepper

45 comments for “Iconic Landmark or an eye sore?

1. November 11, 2014 at 2:30 PM

It’s a very interesting building. It’s hard to say if it fits with the old buildings in London, or not. It is beautifully built though.

• November 11, 2014 at 2:47 PM

yes it is, it doesn’t match but then does it need to? It’s a great subject matter to debate, beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say 🙂

2. November 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Last two photos are my favourites! Tree in and out! The last one even has an airplane in the left corner of the frame.

Feels more like an engineering marvel than an eyesore 😁 king kong wouldn’t fit well on this tower. Nothing to grap onto 😝

• November 11, 2014 at 2:49 PM

haha re King Kong yes I think he would be sliding down with a look of horror on his face lol, that made me giggle you saying that as I thought it but didn’t say it.

It is a marvellous feat and certainly eye catching. I forgot to mention the plane, that is a regular occurence here in London no sky shot complete without a plane, thank you for popping by how are you getting on with 101? xx

• November 11, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Hahaha! The Shard 1 King Kong 0.

Ohh i see i see. Would love to go there someday!

Im enjoying it a lot. Mostly glad to be able to find people who share the same sort of passion for photography 😁 Not that great with writing though, so i may need to try that more!

• November 12, 2014 at 12:24 PM

ah well but its about photography so that is what counts right at the moment and yes its lovely to meet other like minded people 🙂 x

3. anujakokrady
    November 11, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I love the way your posts come out. Your write really well!

• November 11, 2014 at 2:54 PM

thank you that is a lovely thing to say and brought a smile to my face x

4. November 11, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Great post! I love the Shard, I think beautiful architecture always “belongs” whether it’s nestled in with the historic or not. Fab photos Justine 🙂

• November 11, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Thank you and wonderful answer. it is actually the first time I saw it properly just goes to show how often i get to go out lol x

5. NotAPunkRocker
    November 11, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Well, it’s hard to miss, so I say definitely a landmark 🙂

6. November 11, 2014 at 3:37 PM

That is an interesting piece of architecture! I didn’t even know it was there until now.

• November 12, 2014 at 12:25 PM

yes there are so many that just seem to pop up and this one certainly seemed to be on my camera radar! x

7. November 11, 2014 at 3:41 PM

It’s definitely interesting but I can’t make up my mind if I like it or not! The pictures are stunning, the third one down actually looks like you’ve super imposed the structure onto the image, it just doesn’t look like it should be in there amongst those older buildings lol xx

• November 12, 2014 at 12:26 PM

hah I know its really weird, just there, everywhere. I am growing to like it and am curious what the top is like x

8. November 11, 2014 at 4:25 PM

I like it, and I don’t think it’s an eyesore. London architecture is a tasteful mixture of the old and the new. A photographer’s heaven!

9. November 11, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Wow Justine, great photos, remind me of the times I lived and worked in London, my favourite is the one with the shard behind the Tower of London, it looks unearthly, like some kind of alien invader…. x

10. November 11, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Oh, and I meant to say, I love it, I was at University in London a long long time ago and I love how crazy and mixed up the skyline has become, there is nowhere quite like it x

• November 12, 2014 at 12:31 PM

exactly it is wonderful and i do actually like the shard though it made me wince looking at it, i am very curious to know what it is like at the top but like you not wishing to pay the entrance fee lol, but i dont think there is any way to sneakily look through a fence to capture the top of this one for sure xx 😀

11. November 11, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Wow I love this! Hey what is that red looking stuff around that castle? I love high rises! I think that is a stunning building from an architectural perspective! I love your post!

• November 12, 2014 at 12:33 PM

thank you, the red stuff are the poppies for the memorial of the first world war. If you go back to that post you can see the link to the day before which talks all about it you might like to read it, i think you will like it 🙂 x

• November 12, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Oh yes! I love them so much! It looked like red waves or something like that! 😀

• November 12, 2014 at 6:50 PM

yessss your right, there is a part just like waves on the edge x

12. manolise
    November 11, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Attractive or not, that’s a fab name. The shard is so fitting for a piece of glass that juts out of London’s landscape.

13. November 12, 2014 at 8:56 AM

The tower of Babel? To me this is more of an eye sore…

• November 12, 2014 at 12:40 PM

awe, its definitely though provoking in architectural style thats for sure 🙂 x

14. November 15, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Well … I must say you did a really great job photographing the thing … but I think they named it appropriately … it does look rather like a shard of glass! I liked also how you furnished us with all that info about the building … an all around great post! 🙂