The Lady in Red

The Lady in Red

I would really love for you to look at this photograph and tell me what you think as in did it invoke any curiosities, thoughts etc about the content of what you see?

If yes and you are willing share, please would you write this down in the comments before reading the rest, thankies in advance.

Lady in red

The Lady in Red – Photography101 Mystery

So todays Photography101 challenge is ‘Mystery’ and this is what they have to say:

Show us something uncertain, and manipulate light around you to enhance the mood of your image.

Some photos are significant not because of what’s depicted, but because of the mood they create. They communicate an idea that transcends the actual subject of the image.

Today the rain came crashing down, the roads were rivers and I had to get a bus, no sign of any sun around and the entire landscape was looking rather grey.

My mind was whirling as to what I could photograph that might be mysterious which under the described circumstances I am sure you can imagine was a challenge as I am sure to many others doing this course.

As such I snapped away, yup buses coming along, traffic, cigarette butts even but nope nothing appeared to have any kind of appeal or mystery to them.

I got on the bus and started to discreetly start snapping people on the bus, I say discreetly as this is very hard when standing on the bus driven by a maniac driver who is throttle, speed and break happy.  iPhone6 in hand trying to pretend I was looking at some funky game app that necessitated me holding the phone at odd angles, half waiting for people to guess I was photographing them and beat me up.

I gave up for a while when a woman appeared, I saw her profile and she was rather striking with a red coat on.  This appealed to me in a world where people dress in black or muted colours.  The urban world often seems to be so monochrome, the people almost blending in pallor attirement in to the pavements.

Also I have a thing about red.  I don’t know when it started.  Maybe with the Wizard of Oz, I yearned for those shiny glittery red shoes and now have a complete fetish for red heels.

Or maybe it was the fact that my mother said “being a redhead you must not wear red, it is not the done thing”.  Red became the forbidden fruit to me and something I wanted, no I needed (yes getting a bit carried away there).

Then there was the Lady in Red, that just confirmed that RED IS BEST!!!!

I also admire women with short hair, a woman who can hold such a hair cut, chopping off what is deemed a sign of our femininity and still look goods always holds my attention.

And she wore a red coat, she got an A+ from me.

So of course, where is she going?

Is that coat worn only for special occasions?

Does she wear red all the time, why?

Is she the kind of woman that just wears a red coat?

Is she going on a date?

As you can see lots of mystery for me, any for you?

Also to get you in the mood I herewith share the video “Lady in Red” , bring back memories of spotty faced teenage kisses to anyone?

You will also note only one photograph today, woohoo instead of 12.  I am literally twitching it is like going ‘cold turkey’ but I can do it, I can, I will publish this before I add any more.

Thank you for reading as always and your opinions count, feedback cherished!  Justine xx

© Justine Nagaur Eclecitoddsnsods.com

Photography101

Photography101

Photography101

#photo101

NaBloPoMo_November

NaBloPoMo_November

NaBloPoMo Day 14

#NaBloPoMo

70 comments for “The Lady in Red

1. November 14, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I like the lady in the red coat, but I think I love even more your description of snapping discreet photos on the bus 😉

• November 14, 2014 at 3:46 PM

hah yes but your naughty thats why you like the undercover photography lol x

• November 14, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Me and naughty? *shock* Is naughty a euphemism for creepy? In that case it would be true…

Liked by 2 people

2. NotAPunkRocker
    November 14, 2014 at 3:06 PM

OK, without looking, I wonder if she is with the kid in front of her and I want her coat.

Going to read on now…

3. November 14, 2014 at 3:08 PM

It’s like bringing a splash of color to a black and white world. Love red, she is bold and daring and adventurous or at least I would like to think so. Red connotes power so if she is going on a date she will be in control.Love the photo.

• November 14, 2014 at 3:47 PM

ooh lala i love your depiction of the photo, so much content, thank you. I hope she did something exciting today. It was local so perhaps if i ever see her i must show her this post lol x

4. NotAPunkRocker
    November 14, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Alright, read it….love your thoughts! I agree about the urban life being monochrome at times and am glad that you (like me) love to look for the color in things.

Re: Redheads don’t wear red. How many times did I hear that as a kid? No red or pink. Of course, I wore them all the time as an adult (and still do; just my hair is fake-black now 🙂 )

On the other hand, it took me years to be able to wear green again. Every school picture I had to wear green because that is what “redheads look best in”.

• November 14, 2014 at 3:33 PM

haha that is soooo funny the green and the pink thing, I had that too!!!! That was my childhood reinacted. I had no idea you are a redhead, ohh lala let the red come back purrrlease, as they say red is best, you can’t hide this even with black, I could tell deep inside the red is waiting to come out..hehe…hugs x

5. November 14, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I love red too! My girl just bought a red purse with lots of Bling! I love red because it pops. Also love the red lip stick now that everyone wears! 😀 Happy weekend! I had to comment I love your posts!

• November 14, 2014 at 3:29 PM

awe thank you and so lovely to see you popping by too! I love that betty boo look with the dark hair, straight fringe and red lips, ooh lala, wish I could carry that off!

6. November 14, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Great shot and story. So, couldn’t resist looking up a suitable quote…

“Poor dull Concord. Nothing colorful has come through here since the Redcoats.”
    ― Louisa May Alcott

7. November 14, 2014 at 3:30 PM

I’m loving her coat, it’s gorgeous. I feel like she is with the boy in front of her and she’s watching to make sure he gets off the train ok…
    I like this photo!

• November 14, 2014 at 3:48 PM

thank you and its been fun to see what people think 🙂 I of course was imagining all kinds of wild and exciting things going on for her today 🙂 xx ps thank you for popping by and please do pop by with a cuppa again x

8. November 14, 2014 at 3:55 PM

I exactly did as you said. I found this mysterious cos of the fact that this picture shows two sides of a simple thing – on board or off board.
    Good one!

9. November 14, 2014 at 3:56 PM

You know me, I love red and still wear it even though my hair’s red now!

I love the picture, that’s a very imaginative take on it, well done missus 🙂

Do you take pictures using an app or do you tinker with them afterwards to get the effects? xx

10. November 14, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Red is definitely a statement color. Your bus ride was very comical.

Lady in Red is a seminal song for Hub and me, and this video is exquisite. I will have to write a post some day – too long to describe the situation and emotions but thank you for triggering such ethereal happiness into my love nest today!

• November 14, 2014 at 6:03 PM

awe that is really truly lovely that it invoked such memories, that made my day xx

• November 14, 2014 at 6:06 PM

💥💖💋

• November 14, 2014 at 6:08 PM

ooh swanky emoticons how on earth do you do that!!!

• November 14, 2014 at 6:14 PM

It’s a free emoticon app I downloaded on my IPad . Do you have Apple computer? If so, go to the App store and “type” emotucons. There’s lots of freebies.

• November 15, 2014 at 9:28 AM

ah yes i use my computer a lot to answer commments as easier but i dont think i can have the emoticons on there, but very cute 🙂

11. November 14, 2014 at 4:36 PM

“curiosity” – absolutely; who is she? where is she going? What space is she stepping into? I wonder if my questions are answered when I return to read your post? Great shot by the way 🙂

12. November 14, 2014 at 5:31 PM

I’m glad I’m not the only one stalking people on the street for a photo. 🙂 Great shot by the way! 🙂 Very mysterious! Now I have to get busy on finding my own mystery.

13. November 14, 2014 at 5:33 PM

I used to have a red coat that fit me (I still have it, though it no longer fits) that was my grandmother’s. She was a fashionable lady!

14. Anonymous
    November 14, 2014 at 6:05 PM

The picture makes me think the Lady in Red is sadly going about her day. She seem like she’s going through the motions and would rather be somewhere else. I know, I know I have an active imagination. Lol

• November 14, 2014 at 6:07 PM

well it’s all good because its giving me feedback which means imaginations are working 🙂 She might be going about her day, but maybe the coat makes her feel better about her mundane day? 😀

15. November 14, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Awesomely funny post, I too fear the reactions of people when you are spotted taking photos…#Awkward.
    There really is some intriguing about a lady wearing red on a dreary grey day maybe even mysterious.

• November 15, 2014 at 9:29 AM

exactly i think so i love a splash of colour i have often been accussed of being too eclectic in my tastes esp with my clothes but i think a splash here and there cheers up the day 🙂

16. November 15, 2014 at 5:27 AM

So, the picture makes me wonder where the woman is going and what sort of coat it is. I’m also trying to piece together if she’s on a subway or bus. As for the coat itself, the color is bright, but I don’t feel anything. It’s shiny, so I think it’s a raincoat.

This is done before I read your post.

The part below is typed after I read your post.

You did a great job striking up the mystery, both with focusing on the color and not seeing the woman’s face. It’s like a person I’ll never get to meet.

As for the color red, my best friend is a neuroscientist. The color red gets peoples’ attention. So there is some support for why color, especially red, will get at you. Compare this with the rest of people wearing monochrome, and suddenly there’s a great mystery all its own. How can she not conform when everybody else is?

• November 15, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Now that is the kind of comment i was really hoping for, that is brilliant!!! We were on a bus, many think the boy infront was hers but he wasnt. Yes the non face bit does make one wonder 🙂 I love red 🙂 and I love non comformists 😀

17. November 15, 2014 at 4:40 PM

She looks like she’s on her way to her waitressing job on 23rd and 3rd and leaving early for her 500th commercial interview that she will not get.