Etherial Architecture

Etherial Architecture

Todays photography assignment is as follows:

Architecture

Study architectural forms, and also train your eye to look for shots that will translate well in black and white.

Tip: As we explored yesterday, color is a powerful element in photography. But let’s not forget black and white, or monochrome, which can be very dramatic! Black, white, gray, and shades in between interact in the frame in dynamic ways.

Train your eye to look for architectural elements that translate in black and white: sharp lines and patterns, defined shapes, large surface areas, and a mix of very light and very dark colors.

The photograph below was taken inside Bath Cathedral in the Summer Holidays.  It is unedited in as much as no contrast, filters etc, just my name put on.

The two photographs below however, I have played with the colours and would love to know your thoughts,preferences.

To me the one immediately below is soft, etheral as it should be really in my mind seeing as it is taken in a Cathedral.  It is the ceiling that runs directly over the main double length of pews, above the main walkway down to the alter.

In my mind it is like the spine of the Cathedral, the way it has been designed like small delicate and fine fish bones, maybe an odd thing to say.

Bath Cathedral Photo101 Architecture

Bath Cathedral Photo101 Architecture

This one has a black and white filter put on and I played a touch with the contrast.

This to me makes it more striking in appearance, highlighting the dips and shades between the spines as I call them.

Bath Cathedral Photo101 Architecture

Bath Cathedral Photo101 Architecture

Now we have a sepia filter, now what do you think of this?

To me it gives it almost a lifelike appearance, as if it is part of a skeletal structure in actuality of something.

Bath Cathedral photo101 Architecture

Bath Cathedral photo101 Architecture

So which is your favorite?

What do you think of when you see the ceiling, do you understand what I mean by spine, or am I going off on a tangent? 😀

Thank you for reading, viewing, Justine xx

© Justine Nagaur Eclecticoddsnsods.com

Photography101

Photography101

Photography101:  Architecture

#photo101

NaBloPoMo_November

NaBloPoMo_November

NaBloPoMo Day 18

#NaBloPoMo

51 comments for “Etherial Architecture

1. November 18, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Really neat design on the ceilings of the cathedral. I much prefer the sepia filter and the increased contrast gives it a bit more depth.
    I actually like the sepia one when viewed upside down. Kinda look like dried up water fountains! 😁

• November 18, 2014 at 2:16 PM

haha omg you nearly gave me a twisted neck i was trying to loko upside down now may I ask how on earth you thought to do that as I would never have done x

• November 18, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Hahahaha!! Oops! No harm intended. Viewing from my phone. I just flipped my phone around.

2. November 18, 2014 at 2:10 PM

A great demonstration of the different visual effects and, by the way, a fabulous cathedral.

• November 18, 2014 at 2:17 PM

thank you, i love visiting Cathedrals, churchs and Abbeys the architecture is normally always so invocative in some way x

3. November 18, 2014 at 2:14 PM

The Sepia one is my favourite 🙂 And yes, it does look like a spine!

Sorry I missed your call earlier hun, I’m stuck with a sick little boy today who’s welded to my hip like a spider monkey xx

• November 18, 2014 at 2:17 PM

oh no you poor thing, well poor boy I mean I hope he gets better soon, the cold bug? x

4. NotAPunkRocker
    November 18, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Oh, I really like the pattern and totally get what you mean!

I am finding I like black and white more and more for photos, especially like this one where the pattern is the real focal point 🙂 Very well done!

• November 18, 2014 at 2:18 PM

thank you lovely words and yes me too, black and white for somethings can just totally make a photo 🙂 Now lets hop over to you x

5. November 18, 2014 at 2:21 PM

What am awesome place! While I normally love black and white, I would say the natural or the sepia photo are my favs.

• November 18, 2014 at 2:24 PM

yes mine is the natural one but i can see the appeal in the others for sure 🙂 thank you for coming by, did you come with a cuppa?

6. November 18, 2014 at 2:23 PM

This is lovely, a bit like the belly of a mushroom… I like most the sepia rendering, by the way.

7. November 18, 2014 at 2:47 PM

I like the light through the windows in the b+w . This is a beautiful shot. I’m always in awe with cathedrals, the ingenuity and manual labor required to erect them.

• November 18, 2014 at 4:37 PM

yes exactly and me too and your right the light shows more in the blac kand white i had not really paid enough attention to that before 🙂 thank you for popping by, now to hop over to yours x

8. November 18, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Beautiful architecture and shots.

9. November 18, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Great shots! since you are asking, nb 3 is my favorite 🙂

• November 18, 2014 at 4:39 PM

hehe thank you and glad you like No 3, sepia seems to be turning out to be a grand favorite…how are you getting on with the challenge? xx

10. November 18, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Each photo has its own merits. The little daubs of color in the first give the feeling of a place that is open, pristine, and serene. The black and white picture makes the place feel timeless. And the sepia gives the place a surreal quality. I can see what you mean by a spine, because the stone is the same hue as bone (it reminds me almost of the pictures I’ve seen of the mausoleum at Verdun).

The sepia adds a slight bit of menace to it, I think, as if there’s something lurking under the ceiling waiting to get out…

• November 18, 2014 at 4:42 PM

haha your last bit fo your comment made me laugh, your right i was thinking an aliens lair or something where the pods grow if it were turned upside down. Your descriptions are fantastic, thank you and yes serene is the word i was trying to find for the first one 🙂 xx

11. November 18, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Sepia😄

12. November 18, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Great photos, def have an organic feel to them, the image of the bones and spine of a fish are good, I prefer the middle mono shot

And…I just can’t help adding that there is a distinct “alien” feeling to them…perhaps not only fish bones..

x

• November 18, 2014 at 4:52 PM

haha oh lordy i knew it, shhhhhh shhhh blah blah don’t say it lol, actually I had googled images of the Alien and Sigourney Weaver before I published this post and I was going to put a bit in about it, but decided not to, because I thought well I will either be ridiculed or it will give you more fodder for this now novel I seem to be not or be writing lol haha…but you are right. Maybe it is the lair where the alien pods grow if turned upside down? x

13. Amy
    November 18, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Great choice! Fascinating architecture and photos!

14. November 18, 2014 at 8:38 PM

I loved the 1st and 3rd! Which one is better? Hard to say since they both reflect different moods :).

15. Sheri Elizabeth
    November 19, 2014 at 12:22 AM

It does look like fish bones! Love this architecture. I could study the details for a while and continue to be intrigued. Even though I love me some post processing, I like the first one the best. I think what sold me on it was the bits of blue in the windows. All 3 are very nice though!

• November 19, 2014 at 12:48 PM

yes i love the natural one and I am always pleased when I prefer the less or non edited, it kinda makes me feel I did a semi decent job in my mind anyways hehe x

16. November 19, 2014 at 3:39 AM

I like the sepia filter a lot. To me it highlights “the spines” as you call it. Beautiful pictures. 🙂

17. November 19, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Great shots Justine. I love the black and white filter as I always love that monochrome contrasty look. 🙂

• November 19, 2014 at 5:31 PM

yes me too, monochrome is very in and popular hehe…never loses its charm x

18. November 19, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Love the details! I like all 3 of ’em but I am more drawn to the middle photo! 🙂

19. November 20, 2014 at 2:29 AM

Wow! I love sepia it is always my favorite! They are all stunning!

• November 20, 2014 at 6:47 PM

than you michelle well your great at photos and editing so coming from you that is fab x