A glowing swarm

A glowing swarm

Todays photo prompt it swarm!!  Now I have no idea where I am going to find a swarm, the essence though I get with this challenge is to find something en masse.  That in itself hard right now on your average day without crowds or masses of things or people etc congregating together.

This is the challenges take on it:

It’s a swarm! Show us something that overruns your scene, but observe and compose carefully before you click the shutter.

Swarm: to fly off together in a group, as bees; to move about in great numbers, asthings or persons.

Observe before you click. As you watch your scene, think of a few different photos that can tell the story of the scene. Focus on a few details in different parts of the scene, and see what speaks to you.

So let me quickly tell you about my adventures in order to get to this place where I present to you the photographs below.

Yup I dug through the archives, nope I didn’t use them but I spent quite some time filling a swarming folder only to trash it!

Yup I went down the street and took photos of traffic jams, I gotta say incredibly boring both doing it and looking at the photos afterwards, it really was not terribly exciting and didn’t invoke any kind of swarmy feeling in me.

So then I walked past our local garden centre which has now set up its indoor plant area to be like a Christmas grotto, I love it!

It is the one thing that gets me in the mood..yup for Christmas I mean, nothing else!

So I found myself sitting on the floor, yup, taking photos of Christmas baubles, the staff starting coming in and out of the room thinking I was just a really odd person….they were right.

Nope I did not use them.

Then as I was about to leave I saw some lovely twinkly lights and I thought EEEEUUURRREEEEEKKKA a really out of the box or should I say in the glass bowl kind of swarm.

So I present for your viewing pleasure the photographs below, the first 3 are the same, just edited differently, I have numbered them so if we actually do get to talk about them afterwards, which I sincerely hope we do, that reference then becomes easy.

All taken with my trusty iPhone6

Not as edited as the ones below, a slightly softer look in my mind.

Photography101 Swarm - a dazzling affair

Photography101 Swarm – a dazzling affair

A blurred effect around the edges and a slightly more glowy hue around the light bulbs, to me invokes a bit more drama, don’t you think?

Photography101 Swarm - a dazzling affair

Photography101 Swarm – a dazzling affair

The Queen of Drama me thinks, highlighting the lights and darkening all of the outside, one almost doesn’t need electricity with this photo, I think it could light up the wall if it just hung there by itself.

Photography101 Swarm - a dazzling affair

Photography101 Swarm – a dazzling affair

This is I admit my favorite, I love red of course.

But it reminded me of trapped fireflies in a bottle, don’t ask me why it just did.

So I imagined them swarming around furiously trying to get out and just lighting up the bottle with even more beauty the more furious they got.

Photography101 Swarm - a dazzling affair

Photography101 Swarm – a dazzling affair

These aren’t the exact containers from where I took the photos, it is the shelf next door but I love the colours given by the different lights on to the wall and it gives a different perspective.

Lots of trapped shiny bright lights in glass!

Photography101 Swarm - a dazzling affair

Photography101 Swarm – a dazzling affair

So which one is your favorite and why?

I know which one is mine.

I like all but most definitely the one that reminds me of the fire flies, the red one resonated with me the most, looking at it takes me more to a fairytale adventure than the others.

What if anything do they do for you?

Thank you for reading and viewing, your comments are like gold dust to me…honest 😀

Justine xx

© Justine Nagaur Eclecticoddsnsods.com

Photography101

Photography101

Photography101:  Swarm

#photo101

NaBloPoMo_November

NaBloPoMo_November

NaBloPoMo Day 20

#NaBloPoMo

32 comments for “A glowing swarm

1. NotAPunkRocker
    November 20, 2014 at 6:14 PM

I love how you interpreted this! I love all colors and lights, and usually I go for “cool” ones like white and blue. I really, really love the red though! Conveys the idea of a “swarm” but still beautiful 🙂

• November 20, 2014 at 6:16 PM

awe thank you i stupidly was feeling quite stressed about how i was going to do this today then i thought if i miss a day i miss a day. Twas getting dark here and then it happened, I love the red too…glad I finally found something but it was a pull my hair out day lolol xx Thank you sweetie xx

2. November 20, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Great idea! My favorites are the first and last photos.

3. November 20, 2014 at 6:20 PM

The very first one put me right in the mood for Christmas! Everything about Christmas – the cold weather, the pine sap, and everything came to me just looking at it. Which was awesome because I love Christmas. 🙂 They are all so pretty!! I also get the sense of fireflies with the red one. Very cool! Love the story of how you got to photographing them, too. 😀

• November 20, 2014 at 6:51 PM

awe thank you your comment is great, really appreciate it, i love it when someone comments in such a way one can tell what was going through their mind when they look at ones pictures, so thank you again, i am glad you got the fireflies too lol , so i am not totally nuts x

4. November 20, 2014 at 6:38 PM

My favourite is number 3. And well done, this was certainly tricky! In fact I’m currently having a debate in the Commons with a guy defending the choice for today lol. Should be interesting 😛 xx

• November 20, 2014 at 6:52 PM

haha and i didnt think you went to the Commons, I might have to pop over then lol x

5. November 20, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Nice set of images, I prefer no 3 as convert anything to b&w and give it a vignette, bit of contrast and it looks great in my opinion but also like the colours in no.5, was that also done with the Iphone?

• November 20, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Yes all done wirh rhe iphone on my grey walk home dotted with lights xx

6. November 20, 2014 at 7:42 PM

These are all great but I like no.3 best. The lights really pop out. I like the red one as well but it makes me remember when a friend joked about the red light district when she saw the red Christmas lights around our window! I always go for white lights nowadays!

• November 20, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Haha that made me laugh oh your friend really tarnished red lights for good 🙂

7. November 20, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Love the last one. It generates to me a feeling of warmth , love and family … And that special season that is almost with us 🙂

• November 21, 2014 at 12:54 PM

awe yes your right, they are like Alladins lanterns, a bit magical x

8. November 20, 2014 at 8:00 PM

I like the ‘trapped swarm’ the best!! Love the idea!

• November 21, 2014 at 12:54 PM

hah thank you, it was a moment of inspiration, and i like twinkly things lol x

9. November 20, 2014 at 8:00 PM

I love a swam of fairy lights, great for the festive season!

10. November 20, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Totally love your idea. I got as far as a nest and one hornet, pretty lame after pondering what to put up today. I like your better 🙂

• November 20, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Noo honestly yours was brill it only takes one shot to be great! Yours had danger!!

11. November 21, 2014 at 1:11 AM

I like 1 and 3 the best. Really nice interpretation of swarm. The lights are beautiful.

• November 21, 2014 at 12:57 PM

awe thank you lights can make something ordinary in to something really quite beautiful, i might get some of the red ones for home hehe x

12. November 21, 2014 at 7:32 PM

They reminded me of those pictures they use when talking about neurons.

13. November 22, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Oooooh! Those are so pretty!

• November 22, 2014 at 11:25 PM

And the blue one on the left is my favorite, because blue is my favorite color, and ergo, ipso facto, it is the best.

• November 23, 2014 at 10:07 AM

hah, glad you like it has given me ideas for Xmas xx