Treasure

Treasure

Todays photo challenge subject is Treasure and here is what the Daily Post has to say:

In the absence of a wooden chest full of gold doubloons, any object or experience that is deeply meaningful can be a treasure. Items, places, people — we all cherish something, or someone.

A treasure can be grand, like a precious heirloom or a night out with a loved one you rarely get to see, or teeny-tiny — like the first plump, juicy blackberry of spring, dripping with bright red juice as it preens on top of a tart:

I initially decided to be literal about this rather than out of the box or too emotional.

There is a story behind the ring you will see below.

The Ring

You see I like shiny, glittery things.  Back in my 20’s other than running my business I had little outside responsibilities so it was at that point in my life one had the freedom within reason to do what one wanted.

There used to be a collection of shops, called the Antiquarium on the Kings Road.  Inside here were stalls of antique jewellery sellers, this was my treasure trove just to window shop.  It has since been demolished.

After finding this treasure trove I used to go in and visit and look longingly and wish for many, many of the items in there.

There was one particular seller who had bedazzling beautiful items, my yearning tenfold every time I went in to see what she had.

However I could never afford any of her items, they were way above my realms of possibility.

But it didn’t stop me going in and looking which I did often, sometimes with friends both female and male. Actually mostly male as I seemed to have far more male friends than female.

I would say to the seller that one day I would come back with my ‘to be’ husband and get my wedding or engagement ring there, so every poor chap that was with me would get questioned and greeted with “ah you must be the one” much to their embarrassment and my amusement as I would shake my head towards her and say “no he’s just a friend”.

One day however on one of the ‘other’ stalls there I spied this ring.  Instantly I fell in love with it and it was within my budget if I removed my entire savings out of my bank account.

Am I an impulsive person?  I would say yes with what I did next.  After pacing up and down the Kings Road mutting “shall I shan’t I” in lunatic fashion I did in indeed withdraw all my savings, bought the ring and felt quite sick.

I instantly went to ‘The Stall’ and guilt ridden confessed my sin.  The seller was very sweet, she understood I couldn’t afford her things and kindly did a valuation, telling me it was a good investment and a great buy.

Phew….Is all I can say!

And in case you are wondering, yes I did get some jewellery from her in the end 🙂

You will see I tried to take the shot of this ring at different angles.  I used my iPhone6 with some macro attachment which didn’t work as well as I would have liked.  I was angling my reading light to try and shine through the stone or highlight it in some way so you could see exactly how beautiful the stones are.

Treasure

Treasure

Treasure

Treasure

Treasure

Treasure

The Real Treasure

However as I was preparing this post, the REAL TREASURE was right infront of my eyes.

I could hear giggling in the background and as I turned around I captured what you see below.

My eldest and Teddy our French bulldog, you would think they are brothers, they constantly play and both adore each other heaps.

This photograph is a real ‘treasure’ both for me to look at and their relationship.

Treasure

Treasure

So in the end, I did portray an emotional ‘treasure’ and an ‘actual’ treasure, the ‘actual’ I had hidden away for years, but thanks to the Daily Post I am now wearing it for the 2nd time in my life!

Your comments, chats and feedback are gratefully accepted.

Justine xx

© Justine Nagaur Eclecticoddsnsods.com

Photography101

Photography101

Photography101: Treasure

#photo101

NaBloPoMo_November

NaBloPoMo_November

NaBloPoMo Day 24

#nablopomo

25 comments for “Treasure

1. November 24, 2014 at 1:20 PM

A really engaging story… The ring photos are very good, I think the middle one is the best…but I just love your last photo…and the focus is just right….

• November 24, 2014 at 1:24 PM

awe thank you, Teddy always looks like he is smiling he has such a floppy mouth 😀 He is like the Jester. I took a close up of the ring even further but didnt post that one as it looked great on my phone but once uploaded very pixelated, yuk, I think jewellery photography is quite hard, I didn’t try it with my camera that might have been better. Onwards and upwards as they say xx

2. November 24, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Hi Justine. I love that last photo of playtime. So cute, they obviously love each other. I think the second ring photo is my favourite. It’s a lovely ring. I have a similar one, although tiny and “fake”. Your story is lovely too. X

• November 24, 2014 at 6:36 PM

thank you, its nearly time to take it off, I feel like Cindarella 🙂 and right now the boys four legged and two are going crazy right by my feet lol, thank you for popping by again 🙂 xx

3. November 24, 2014 at 1:48 PM

I agree with Andy, the middle one definitely! Although, if I’d have spent my entire savings on a ring then I’d have had it surgically sutured to my finger-it would never come off! I think you’re crazy for only wearing it for the second time lol.

That last picture is so so sweet and most definitely the ‘real’ treasure 🙂

You need to tell me what a macro attachment for the iPhone is?? xx

• November 24, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Hah well i am wearing it now i am paranoid about it slipping off though! I just like treasures but yes prob a bit bonkers! Re camera thing it made no difference and was just me messing around its acrually meant for my i

• November 24, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Oops mesnt for my iphone 5 . On bus too hard to type lol x

4. November 24, 2014 at 1:59 PM

That’s perfect. I love the story behind the ring. And yep, our kids are the real treasures.

• November 24, 2014 at 6:37 PM

oh such treasures, more important than anything else and right now playing by my feet going nuts x

5. November 24, 2014 at 2:11 PM

I love both approaches you took with this one!

6. November 24, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Looks like they have a great connection.

• November 24, 2014 at 6:39 PM

oh they are like terrible twins lol cept they dont look alike..thankfully x

7. November 24, 2014 at 2:50 PM

I knew it! As soon as I saw the challenge of treasure I had a feeling I’d see a child or two. 🙂 Lovely, Justine!

8. NotAPunkRocker
    November 24, 2014 at 3:18 PM

I love that ring, but I agree that the last picture is the greatest one yet 🙂

9. November 24, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Treasures every one Justine. Loved the story of the ring. Not surprised you emptied your bank account, but the winner is the last photo, real live treasures and a wonderful photo full of love and joy. 🙂

• November 24, 2014 at 6:42 PM

awe thank you for your lovely words, I have been out all day so really looking forward to seeing what everyone else has done for this xx

10. November 25, 2014 at 1:42 AM

Such a great story, that ring is beautiful but I have to agree that priceless photo of your son and dog is wonderful. That is the real treasure.

• November 25, 2014 at 2:32 PM

yes 🙂 I love those moments, so happy and well teddy just waits every day for my son to get home then his day is good 🙂 x

11. November 25, 2014 at 3:41 PM

the ring reminds me of Lady Di’s 🙂 beautiful!

• November 25, 2014 at 4:08 PM

yes you know it was at the Era, you hit the nail on the head i forgot to mention that 🙂 x

12. November 26, 2014 at 1:53 AM

Love the last photo…so sweet. 🙂

• November 26, 2014 at 3:36 PM

awe thank you yes it might become my desktop saver x