The Darkness #2

The Darkness #2

If you missed the beginning and wish to catch up before reading this, please click here

Excerpt from the last written piece:

Small shoulders rounded fleetingly against the sudden onset of a chill as her feet came to a standstill, a dark shadow akin to a thunder cloud taking the sparkle out of the rain splatters upon the pavement.

Instead a shadowy form appeared, moving slowly over and infront of her vision, a large circle with a thin attachment from which seemed to spread wings, wings that spanned from one side of the road to the other, wings that became real as they cloaked the young girl until she was gone….

The Darkness (wings)

The Darkness (wings)

The morning sun bounced against the double layered cotton curtains, decorated with butterflies that adorned the eight year old’s bedroom.

All was silent in the room until light footsteps almost unheard stopped between window and bed.  Fingers’ gripped the material’s hem, eagerly snatching them open as the sun sang in joy, streaming heartily to stroke upon every surface it could find, including Sophie.

Disgruntled noises could be heard from the young girl’s bed as a shape formed akin to a mole going underground.  Duvet lifted, covering now scrunched up face which contorted as if in pain.

“Wake up sleepy head, time to get up!” came her mothers’ cheery voice.  The response  was a languid guttural moan, one easily mistaken for a wounded animal had she not known a child was buried somewhere within.

Sophie curled like a wilting flower, head buried upon her knees enjoying the darkness within her makeshift cavern.  Yet she wasn’t enjoying the seemingly sun lured pain, palms clamped around pulsing temples as if holding fragile plates of her skull together.

One thumb moved to touch where people said one’s third eye was, faltering whilst nearing, could something be there?

An iron pole was surely pressing here, trying to enter her skull, the intense torment dissipating as quickly as it came as daylight once again assaulted her senses mixed with a lingering headache.

“OWWWW, Ow ow, no mummy please, my head hurts,” came Sophie’s voice in agitation as sweaty hands snatched upwards grappling in attempt to pull back down the lifted bedlinen.

“Get up sleepy head, you have slept for ages, maybe you didn’t drink enough water yesterday” she chimed, whilst tossing the bed covers to the floor.  Her mother’s sweet scent of jasmine filtered through young freckled nostrils, soothing the young girls’ senses momentarily. Both mother and daughter reached to enjoy a morning embrace, the floral scents swiftly being replaced by the insulting smell of stale baby milk.

Sophie’s head wriggled in revulsion, moving her chin upon the soft fabric of her mothers’ shoulder to pull back a touch.  Eyes’ unseen yet as dark as black shiny marbles checked for where the offending spillage might be.  Confusion entwined through the young girl’s senses like a festering disease as red locks floated downwards within view, presenting her cheek to rest cosseted upon her mother’s lap as a serpent shiver moved up her spine.

“Maybe you are under the weather a little, go and have a shower, I will toast some crumpets for you.”  Palms’ cupped the pale cheeks of her daughter “You do look pale sweetheart” the words lovingly muffled by a swift kiss to the forehead.

Sophie rose robotically, her whole body feeling stiff, alien to her as sole’s slid heavily upon the wooden floorboard.  She approached the bathroom, head down, spotting her mother’s toes as they dashed out of the bathroom.  The soft thud of their descent down the stairs  was droned out by the pounding of water, like the Niagara falls, abusing Sophie’s earlobes as shoulders’ drew together in a wince.

There was a furrow as deep as a ditch developing between the young redhead’s mossy eyes upon which bunched knuckles rubbed feverishly.  The water struck upon presented body, rhythmically, hypnotising the girl in to position.

Questions ran through dazed mind as the events of the day prior came to the forefront.  Arms now hung lifelessly by her side, her thoughts’ pensive, deep in turmoil ‘Did I dream this, what happened?’ went over an over like a stuck record grating at her nerves yet with no answer.

The kitchen lay directly beneath the bathroom, the aroma of crumpets would have been smelt had Sophie been in this world, but she wasn’t she was somewhere else, in a place where time seemed to stand still.

A thudding came up the stairs followed by a slightly irritated yet concerned voice.  “Sophie what are you doing, you’ve been in there twenty minutes running the water, remember we are on a water meter now, get out please!”

The footsteps became louder and closer, then stopped to a standstill.  “Ohhh Sophie what ARE YOU DOING?”  Annoyance now penetrated each syllable, “Your still in your pyjamas, soaking wet, you’ve not even washed.”

A lengthy sigh escaped as the door swung open, Sophie’s head snatched up in shock.  “Wha, what, what, oh mummy, what?”  The girl’s sodden girls arm already being guided out of the shower, young throat started to constrict, knot forming, a burning upon her eyelids, threatening tears of confusion.

“I WON’T, I won’t” came an outburst from her pale bloodless looking lips.  ‘I wont cry’ she thought fighting the urge.

“You won’t WHAT young girl?  Don’t start being defiant” came her mother’s retort from misunderstood statement.  Maternal demeanour changed as a warmed towel from the rail was brought upon russet locks, drying rather roughly in speed and agitation.  “OWw mummy it’s hot, it hurts” Sophie exclaimed in vain.

“Don’t be silly you have this all the time Sophie, now we need to get on with the day”.

Cold wet pyjamas stuck like a second skin were stripped from her body “silly girl” came a mumble, followed by a quick rub down as yet another frock was thrown over her head.

“Come on downstairs now Sophie.” came fading instructions, her mother’s footsteps already having left, departing towards the kitchen, Sophie in tow.  Nobody had looked in the mirror, no need to, nobody noticed the words, words perhaps written by a young girl, perhaps not and a face or was it, appearing from under the condensation.

Help Me

Help Me

Sophie’s senses seemed to clear a little, the smell of crumpets tickling her nostrils.  Lips’ twitched in an attempt to smile at the gurgling Edward whilst passing him playing upon his colourful play mat.

Hitching herself on to the chair, bony elbows’ rested upon the breakfast table. A plate of crumpets with melted butter and jam invited her to eat as they slid upon a plate in to view.

Butter dripped over the glittery ragged polish as Sophie dived in to the softness of her breakfast, enjoying just for a moment a fraction of what seemed happiness in days.  The confusing events or dreams being forgotten momentarily as is so easily done from the young child’s mind.

The serenity was shattered like glass in to a million pieces as Edward shrieked, a blood curdling sound, arms and legs flailing all over the place, knocking the hanging toys from side to side.

“Ohh Edward my poor love what’s the matter?” came her mother’s response, as if, he would answer.

Sophie looked absently towards the window, hoping to drown out the offensive sound and sight of her brother.

The light streaming through the aperture suddenly disappeared as a black figure outside shot past.  The girl’s pupils’ darkening once again to those shiny black marbles, as dark as the darkest night, all unseen by busy mother and baby.

The knife however, was not unseen as it sat ready for the day upon the counter, Sophie’s headache starting upon her  once again…..

The Knifes Edge

The Knifes Edge

So we have episode 2 now, enjoying? grins….

I hope this has set you up for a great Sunday, are you perhaps having crumpets for breakfast? hehe

Thank you for reading, all feedback in this journey gratefully received, Justine xx

© Justine Nagaur Eclecticoddsnsods.com

I would like to thank nty6x  who has the Passionately Curios blog, for editing my Cover Photo and putting the wings on.

Also I would like to thank Andy Townsend who writes Belgian Streets and edited my mirror pic putting in the words, but not the face, this seemed to appear from nowhere..oooer spooky!

39 comments for “The Darkness #2

1. November 30, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Ooo it’s juicy. Poor Sophie. Mama’s too busy with baby to notice the evil lurking. 😬👹🙀
    Good one Justine. I’m ready for part 3!

• November 30, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Hah thank you Jane i am enjoying writing it so many ideas in my head now as to which way and how dark it could go! X

2. November 30, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Wow….just read it and will now read again, what a great story, I am hooked (but you know that already…) so, back to reading it and wondering what comes next – I like the way you have mad the child’s mind so dark and tortured and so out of synch with the mundane domestic life….it jars…in a good way

and good morning!

• November 30, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Oooh i like that you read it twice! Double the mystery then hehe. The mirror played a great part so thank you for that i look forward to your next photographic contribution….

Its great you ‘got’ the jarring , two different paces and lives seemingly going on. Ps good afternoon xx

• November 30, 2014 at 1:55 PM

I will think about a good photo…and also await your brief 😉 amd good afternoon to you also, your pix of Richmond were lovely …

• November 30, 2014 at 1:59 PM

hah well i will try to brief without giving the next bit of the story away lol. Trying to also compose/write up the challenge post which is making me nervous i feel like i am presenting a show haha. I was listening to muse today, i just forgot about them as a band, their collection is awesome. I have some more Richmond photos coming outlater for the photo converge post hehe, I always forget I post on instagram 🙂 and ps thank you. Hows your day so far? x

• November 30, 2014 at 2:02 PM

I am looking forward to it a lot! Off for a walk now in aearch of mist and ambigiuity … Following you on Insta @belgradestreets x

• November 30, 2014 at 2:20 PM

ooooh i like mist especially when you see the tips of the stags antlers appearing nearby….shivvers! Have fun x

• November 30, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Grabbed a few shots for a misty post…and one that I think might work for you…more on that later…

• November 30, 2014 at 9:42 PM

ohhhhhh, is it the one you sent me? you really did make me laugh x

• November 30, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Yws although have more, depends on brief 😉

• December 1, 2014 at 9:56 AM

alright, well my mind is still churning, i know some blood might be involved 😀

• December 1, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Blood …oh dear, I forget that degree of authenticity, now I will need to do a reshoot 😉

• December 1, 2014 at 10:39 AM

haha, erm no, oh gosh, don’t put real blood on, now I am worried what you are going to do for the sake of art!

• December 1, 2014 at 11:05 AM

I promise not to spill any blood….

• December 1, 2014 at 11:13 AM

phew good haha..got me worried there a moment. My todays post is a little lighter in theme 🙂 x

• December 1, 2014 at 11:15 AM

I think the comments section on one or two blogs are in danger of outshine the actual blogs pieces themselves 😉 that being said I always look forward to your next one 🙂

• December 1, 2014 at 12:19 PM

very true but it is good to socialize 😀 I like to natter, could you tell?

• December 1, 2014 at 12:41 PM

I’d noticed a slight tendency to chat…. 😉

• December 1, 2014 at 12:43 PM

haha 😛 Did you see my Autumnal post today …and ps I noticed the tendency back your way!!! 😛

• December 1, 2014 at 12:48 PM

I am a bit behind in my posting and commenting so I will go check…. And yes, there has been a lot of chatting lately 😉

• December 1, 2014 at 5:19 PM

yes me too i am sooo behidn but been working today yikes…has to be done x

• November 30, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Sent you a photo for the story…

3. November 30, 2014 at 11:44 AM

There’s evil lurking beyond the facade of everyday… Scary story! In a good way 🙂

4. November 30, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Ohhhhhh juicy alright. That photo of the mirror totally sent shivers down my spine. Written brilliantly that I can picture it happening as I read through it.
    Part 3 part 3!

• November 30, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Awe thank you it makes me smile when someone feels it as thats my desire. I try to just write as if in the scene and not over edit it to leave it in its raw state. Thanks again for the wings btw x

• November 30, 2014 at 2:02 PM

You’re welcome 😀 smiles!
        I see i see. Totally helps me expand my vocabulary as well hahahaha.
        I too, smiled seeing the wings 😉

5. December 1, 2014 at 5:09 PM