It’s not coffee, it’s chai!

It’s not coffee, it’s chai!

What get’s you up in the morning?

Well apart from noisy boys I like to indulge in a little tipple in the morning.  Nope not alcohol.

It seems the nation is full of coffee drinkers.  I had given up this source of delight and addiction some years back, for some years I might proudly add.

However, as of late I have succumbed, but I do not have it in the mornings as it seems I am a lightweight and would be bouncing around for the whole day, which for some people is just too much.

Being a bit of an old fashioned gal too, I like my tea.  I collect my china, have all different collections which span six shelves and I have an entire shelf just for tea, you name it I have got it.  I love my strainers too, yup you might call me sad but one has to have little and easily accessible pleasures in life.

My morning tea is ‘usually’ a cup of Earl Grey, however as of late I have been unfaithful to old grey and found chai!  Oh yus, chai tickles me pink, it is utterly delicious and I cannot get enough of it.

So a little bit about chai below…

Chai Tea

Photo101 Rehab: In this photo I finally managed to sit down and ‘actually’ learn about photoscape a bit better, using the blur, brightening and deepening techniques on specific places rather than just as a whole on the photo. I don’t know the technical names so please excuse my ignorance. I also hoorah cleared up my whole desktop of photos and filed them away, this for me is a major achievement.

Does Chai Tea Heal?

The history of chair goes back 5,000 years to the ancient courts of Siam and India.  Legend being a king concocted it in order to make a healing beverage, it then became a part in the healing tradition of “ayurveda” alternative medicine.

Along with taking tea, one would indulge in massage, herbs, yoga and other healing elements (that sounds like my kind of wake up call!).

Chai tea then spread in popularity throughout South Asia and far in to the Western World and is very ‘in’ at the moment, yus I am a trend setter! 😀

I first discovered this a couple of weeks ago when a girlfriend kindly took and treated me to tea in Orange Pekoe.  Being totally ignorant I asked for this tea black.  It really does have quite a punch when drunk like this.

It was only about a week later I discovered the ‘real’ way to drink it, with hot milk and plenty of sugar.  Mmmm yum!

Here I am going to share an authentic recipe on how to make chai tea, however you can as I have buy it pre-made.

Chai Tea Recipe

This authentic chai tea recipe serves four.

4 black peppercorns

1 stick of cinnamon

6 green cardamom pods

6 cloves

1 inch ginger root, sliced and peeled

1 tablespoon loose black tea or 2 black tea bags

3 cups water

1 cup whole milk

2 tablespoons sugar, preferably dark brown

Put the spices together in a saucepan with the water and bring to a rolling boil. Cover, and let simmer 5 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let steep 10 minutes. Return to a boil. Remove from heat and add the tea, let steep 3 to 5 minutes. Strain mixture and return to saucepan. Add milk and sugar and stir for one minute over low heat. Serve immediately.

I do slightly cheat when making my chai tea, as I have the herbs etc already made up and I use a glass teapot which you can see in the photos.  I pour in the just boiled water and let it simmer for a while.  The milk is heated up, the tea poured in to the cup, sugar, then hot milk and presto it is done pretty quickly.

For those of you who are tea addicts like me I would like to introduce you to a simply divine WordPress site called Thirsty for Tea, please click here to read all about the sumptuous recipes for things to go with tea and how to drink tea.

What is your favorite tipple be it morning or not?

Taken for:

Fiesta Friday #45

Just Thursday

Photo101 Rehab – For my photo entry I finally managed to sit down and ‘actually’ learn about photoscape a bit better, using the blur, brightening and deepening techniques on specific places rather than just as a whole on the photo. I don’t know the technical names so please excuse my ignorance. I also hoorah cleared up my whole desktop of photos and filed them away, this for me is a major achievement.

© Justine Nagaur Eclecticoddsnsods.com

For those of you who love a bit of pictorial tea satisfaction, please check out my Pinterest, I have included two boards below:

97 comments for “It’s not coffee, it’s chai!

1. December 5, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Love chai, I’m a coffee drinker in the AM but will drink tea the rest of the day. Delicious Chai recipe.

• December 5, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Thank you i am totally addicted to it and it feels quite lavish to have it, doesnt it? Or is that just me hehe x

2. December 5, 2014 at 6:05 PM

All I can think of when I see the pictures is about those cookies…

• December 5, 2014 at 6:12 PM

haha yes they are delish i got them at the Christmas Fair yesterday but they are gone now lol x

3. December 5, 2014 at 6:08 PM

I loosely follow the Ayurvedic diet for my dosha, Coffee is so bad for me, but cardamom and cinnamon and cloves and pepper are worse for those of us who run “too hot!” I love those things, too — and I’ll subject myself to a rare Turkish coffee WHICH I WISH I COULD HAVE EVERY DAY, but if I did, my face would be on fire and I’d be bloated, blarg! lol
    My husband loves chai, having had it when he was serving overseas. But he says he’s yet to find one he likes here. I think I will give your recipe a whirl for him when he’s on break this month. Maybe yours will win him over!

• December 5, 2014 at 6:12 PM

You could try looking at Orange Pekoe, I provided the link I am sure they would mail order and its fabulous they are well known for their teas. hehe….

I was told to have cinnamon and the rest for my pain issues that it would help somewhat, though I don’t deal with heat well myself. I find cold locally on the pain much better, some others though find relief with heat though I bloat, so maybe I should look in to it.

What is your dosha? How did you find out about it..i am intrigued now xx

• December 5, 2014 at 6:28 PM

It was a journey, but it started with a former neighbor who was Indian. I’ve got too much Pitta.I must admit, all the dietary guidelines help. I experience much less anxiety, Rosacea, arthritis, heartburn, and bloating when I adhere to it. (For instance, the pumpkin pie I only eat one week a year has caused a flare up on my face — because cloves, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon…love them, bad for me.)

• December 5, 2014 at 7:22 PM

wow sounds really intersting and how would I find out about this fo rmyself? x

• December 5, 2014 at 7:27 PM

I do not know? Maybe an eastern medicine place? Maybe an herbalist?
            You can find a lot of information on doshas online, to start, but I’d recommend you find a person. Like an MD who is inclusive.

• December 6, 2014 at 12:53 PM

sounds like good advice to me 🙂 I had never really heard of it before but I am always looking to exlore other options and you have found it really helps you? x

• December 6, 2014 at 12:59 PM

It does. But it’s hard in the self-discipline category. I am unwilling to never have hot spices, I am unwilling to give up coffee, but a lot of the best-for-me foods are ones I love and I must admit, I feel better when I’m a “good girl” and eat my cooling, healing foods 😉

4. December 5, 2014 at 6:16 PM

I’d try it if it wasn’t for the milk and the sugar….. Isn’t it good that we are all so different. Thanks for taking part. 🙂

• December 5, 2014 at 6:18 PM

(I drink both tea and coffee black – but not strong black tea – it has to be…… perfect, lol.

• December 5, 2014 at 6:20 PM

hehe you could actually try black like i did first time if you are hardcore and like a spicy zingy tea ! x

5. December 5, 2014 at 6:23 PM

I used to drink 2-3 cups of tea/Chai every day… now I need to try your recipe for a change 🙂

• December 5, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Oh i am interested to see how it compares i am not sure in the summer if i will drink it so much as rhe spices i associate with winter. Whats your chai recipe?

• December 5, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Nothing much, normal tea… with cardamom some times…

Milk+Sugar+Tea leaves

• December 5, 2014 at 7:23 PM

ah ok, well if you try the one on my post i would lov eto know how you find it 🙂 x

6. December 5, 2014 at 6:32 PM

I’m a big tea drinker and I’ve never had this…I might have to give it a try, it sounds lovely xx

7. December 5, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Just to let you know that the Inlinkz link works beautifully 🙂

8. December 5, 2014 at 6:41 PM

I’m not quite ready to give up my morning coffee (I think the rest of the family would strangle me for my grumpiness otherwise), but this chai tea appears to be the perfect after coffee drink. Love the sound of it with milk and maybe a pinch of sugar…now if I only had some of that beautiful china too. 🙂

• December 5, 2014 at 7:26 PM

oh i am a china lady, i collect it, but don’t use it that often, i got it out for the post lol, normally its my thick blue and white stripy mug, oh i just ruined the fantasy didn’t i? hehe actually if you try this i would love to know x

9. December 5, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Ooooh perfect timing!! I was just telling my husband I wanted to keep some chai tea in the house! Can’t wait to try this 🙂

• December 5, 2014 at 7:27 PM

yay seriously it is so lovely, if not try Orange Pekoe, i am addicted to their tea they are famous for it and it is pukka lukka hehe x

10. December 5, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Ooooh that looks good, Justine! I love tea 😊

• December 6, 2014 at 12:53 PM

hehe me too! Will you try it do you think? x

• December 7, 2014 at 9:27 AM

I think I will 🙂

• December 8, 2014 at 9:55 AM

you should join me for my Tuesday tea club tomorrow that will be once a fortnight, maybe post your chai you made hehe

11. December 5, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Yummm…love chai! Great blog, I’m following now too. 🙂

• December 6, 2014 at 12:54 PM

yay, thats great do you think you will make this tea? I fso please do let me know how you get along x

12. December 5, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Oh my goodness… I love a delicious spicy chai! What a lovely drink… Thank you so much for bringing this to Fiesta Friday… it’s a perfect drink for gloomy wintry days in Virginia!

• December 6, 2014 at 12:56 PM

if you like spicy you should order the one from Orange Pekoe it has a real punch to it lol,l but if you try this one here i would love to know how you get on 🙂 Thank you for popping by are you enjoying the party ? x

13. December 5, 2014 at 9:35 PM

I live chai, have been a fan for a while. Love the photo you added too.

• December 6, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Thank you, have you ever tried to make it from a recipe? If you do I would love your feedback, thank you for popping by are you having a lovely weekend? x

14. December 5, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Now Justine, you know I am addicted to coffee. But I do drink tea on airplanes because they make bad coffee. My mum is an absolute tea addict – much worse than me with coffee. She is extremely particular – strong, just a small amount of milk, cup must be thin china (good grief don’t even suggest a glass teacup!) and it must be hot, brewed from leaves not bags. I give her a new tea cozy for her teapot each year. Neither of us have tried chai. For mum, I think she would prefer her tea unadulterated, but I am going to try it next week!
    The photo is lovely, I love the teacup and now I need a biscuit 😘

• December 6, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Oh your mother sounds lovely lol and with fine china too what a treat! I think you should make up this tea for her one day to surprise her?

• December 6, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Yes good idea. And she is lovely. Although I’m kinda biased 😉

15. December 6, 2014 at 12:00 AM

We used to be avid tea drinkers but for some reason in the past couple of years we usually only have tea in the morning and coffee the other times. Maybe if I tried some other variety of tea I might go back as I really don’t like the after taste of coffee. I honestly feel the tea we used to enjoy somehow has changed in flavour… Diane

• December 6, 2014 at 1:02 PM

maybe you could try this one the ingredients are easy enoug its has a nice spicy warm winter taste to it 🙂 x

16. December 6, 2014 at 1:20 AM

Thank you for this post, my lovely fiancee, it is perfect! I love it that you are reclaiming the joys of tea drinking for the British 😉

17. December 6, 2014 at 6:36 AM

Chai is my all-time favourite, Elaine and I would drink it over coffee anyway. Thanks for your awesome recipe, as I am always looking for the very best recipe to suit my taste! 🙂

• December 6, 2014 at 1:13 PM

ooh lala i am excited are you goign to try and make it then? x

18. December 6, 2014 at 6:52 AM

Thanks for bringing light onto me on what’s actually in Chai. Guess I’ve been negligent lol. Chai is actually my ‘social tea’ with my mates.
    My mornings are usually 60/40 earl grey or english breakfast :D! gotta go get a picture of this now…….

19. December 6, 2014 at 8:22 AM

I LOVE chai and i love my tea! Great post xx

• December 6, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Thank you me too, i am totally addicted to this, feels so lush, will you try this recipe? Or made it before/ x

20. December 6, 2014 at 9:44 AM

I love chai in the mornings, thank you for this authentic recipe. I’ve always had trouble getting the amount of milk and strength of tea just right to my liking. I suppose it depends on the tea we use and how much.

21. December 6, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I love chai too! Your tea cup picture is amazing! I’m trying to learn more about photography.

• December 8, 2014 at 9:46 AM

awe, i am still very much an amaetuer but enjoying it so much. I love Mondays too because I can start my quota of Chai tea lol, I have to limit myself hehe x

22. skd
    December 6, 2014 at 5:52 PM

My early morning tipple would be hot Green tea. And my afternoon and late night too. I just love green tea. And especially after a high calorie meal. Works like a detox. ☕

• December 8, 2014 at 9:47 AM

yes i love green tea too I am thinking of starting a tea club you must join me 🙂 x

• skd
        December 8, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Definitely 🙂 I am a huge fan of tea.

23. December 6, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Oooo…so how was Orange Pekoe!? I just checked out the link and it looked lovely. 🙂 My favorite tipple would have to be a good cup of frothy matcha. I love everything about it…its color, its aroma, and of course…its taste! A creamy, sweet chai like yours isn’t too far behind though! 🙂

• December 8, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Ohh you know I just bought Matcha, my alexander teacher has it and let me try a bit, it is really different and I need to learn how to make it properly. I am thinking of starting a Tuesday teaclub once a fortnight, you must come and join me on it 🙂 x

24. December 6, 2014 at 9:03 PM

How funny that we both wrote about tea this week! I do rather love the chai flavours but I’m not fond of milk so I tend to drink everything black. How pretty is your teacup and saucer?!

• December 8, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I know, it is definitely a tea week lol, actually i am thinking of starting a fortnightly Tuesday tea club you must come and join me 🙂 I did actually try the chai black before I knew how to make it, it really does have quite a punch lol x

25. December 7, 2014 at 2:15 AM

What an interesting post! 😀

26. December 7, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Lovely chai photo and I’m very pleased to see that you’re making real chai and not just the tea bag chai that you can buy in the supermarkets these days.
    I spent one year in India & Nepal, so I’ve had my fair share of chai!

• December 7, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Thank tou cardinal for your lovely comments 🙂 i am very jealous you have got to experience living in India and have reap chai! Do you still drink it?

• December 7, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Sometimes I make it during winter and then I pretty much follow the same recipe like you’ve posted here, but instead of sugar I add some candied ginger for sweetness and an extra kick.

• December 8, 2014 at 9:56 AM

oooh that sounds really nice, i must try that, i am a sucker for anything sweet and tea like x

27. December 7, 2014 at 2:17 PM

My whole family loves Chai! BT recently mentioned to me that he is always finding it too weak, so I think I’ll try making this for him. 🙂
    I made Chai cookies just the other day! They were really good! (I found (and modified, a little) the recipe at “My Baking Addiction.”)

• December 8, 2014 at 12:33 PM

oh you are a total star i looked up that site it is amaaaazing, I really am going to try some of their stuff. I am hoping to start a tea event, Tuesdays, once a fortnight starting tomorrow, just anything based around tea, baking, tea time, even coffee, anything you would have with your friends for a nice tea time event, even if it’s art! You should come and join me x

• December 8, 2014 at 2:22 PM

That sounds wonderful! I’d love to join!! Any steps I need to take?

• December 8, 2014 at 3:15 PM

oh great, yay, I will make a post to publish tomorrow my UK GMT, my tea time entry will be there and there will be an Inlinkz button, if you write your own post, then back link and put the post URL in the inlinkz it gives one page where everyones entries are, so we can all have tea together, comment and enjoy each others posts 🙂 x

28. December 8, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I’ve never had chai before, I’ve always wanted to try because it does sound like something I’d like. But I don’t like regular tea, so I’m not sure if that taste coming through would ruin it for me, what do you think? Is the regular tea taste strong or do the spices outweigh it?

I’m glad you shared this with us at Fiesta Friday, it’s another kick up the bum to make me give it a go!

• December 8, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I personally think it is really different and have had it black too, oh wow it kicks a punch black lol. The Orange Pekoe one might be slightly different, but it doesn’t taste like regular tea at all, you should really try it. I am having a fortnightly tea corner on Tuesdays starting tomorrow, anything to do with tea time dining even be it photography, recipes, art, baking etc, anything that would be involved with a lovely get together at tea time hehe, woudl be lovely if you could join me x

• December 8, 2014 at 12:57 PM

Cool, I’ll definitely get around to trying it asap
        and I’ll definitely come check out your tea corner tomorrow, sounds like fun x

• December 8, 2014 at 1:52 PM

yay great, i shall look forward to a cuppa then x

29. December 10, 2014 at 3:32 AM

Lovely Chai recipe Justine and lovely post! I need to learn some of these photo techniques too! 🙂

• December 10, 2014 at 6:56 PM

hehe i need to learn more, I need my weekly dose of chai not had it yet…wobbles!