Saatchi & Saatchi #6

Saatchi & Saatchi #6

Sharing Art

The other day I went to the Saatchi & Saatchi Gallery in Chelsea, London, where they have Post Pop: East Meets West.

This is how the exhibition is described:

East Meets West examines why of all the twentieth century’s art movements, Pop art has had such a  powerful influence over artists from world regions that have had very different and sometimes opposing ideologies.

Widely regarded as one of the most significant art movements of the last century, Pop Art exploited identifiable imagery from mass media and everyday life to reflect on the nature of the world we live in.  This exhibition examines the relationship between western Pop Art and its lesser-known eastern counterparts including “Sots Art” in the Soviet Union and “Political-Pop” or “Cynical Realism”, which has flourished in Greater China since the turn of the twenty-first century.

I certainly love art in all it’s forms and as such have decided to share my experience with you.  Online give us the opportunity to share the places we go to and the things we see, I for one would love to see some of the Exhibitions you might go to.  I will post over the next few days the photos I took at the Exhibition, a series of Posts, called Saatchi & Saatchi # (whatever it is).

If you want to backtrack and look over past posts you will find it under my Arty Farty link here – Arty Farty

So here we have Lenin, Mickey Mouse and presumably Jesus, all painted in orange…my thoughts are below!

Post Pop:  East Meets West

Post Pop: East Meets West

What I would say to this, is, who is taking the Mickey!!!!

What are your thoughts on this?

© Justine Nagaur

16 comments for “Saatchi & Saatchi #6

1. NotAPunkRocker
    January 5, 2015 at 3:23 PM

Orange, or red? Because the red would reflect the thought that all are communist institutions, or have characteristics of them.

(I am back at work and way behind on post-reading, but I promise to get back to the reasons I liked the other pieces and read the last installment when I get home today or tomorrow 🙂 )

• January 5, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Now you know, it is to me actually very orange, it was bright orange, so I thought maybe it is trying to depict the struggle to be red or not quite red?

looking forward to your other thoughts but yah know don’t stress..all in good time..grins xx

2. January 5, 2015 at 5:17 PM

I’m not artistic enough to draw a conclusion and this photograph looks like a mystery to me, but I must tell you that it’s a beautiful mystery. I have clicked on it thrice after seeing it in my reader.

• January 5, 2015 at 6:20 PM

awe thank you, thats a great thought that it inspired you so much to go back and back again to have a look, that tickles me pink, not that i am the artist, but that i could bring you something that you like so much 🙂 There are more images from the exhibition to come, all different, hope to catch up again xx

• January 6, 2015 at 4:58 AM

I feel so jealous that you get to see and appreciate this exhibition. I’ll wait for the next pic.

• January 6, 2015 at 9:48 AM

awe i feel like that when people show pics abroad as i cannot fly etc, due to my pain issues. Glad to be able to share this with you though , more to come x

3. January 5, 2015 at 5:48 PM

I like Lenin, but he should be red! A neat idea, but it could have been even more experimental, maybe? Besides its being red to represent communism, it could be red to represent blood and there could be some blood shown too! Sorry, I’m in morbid mood, I guess 😮

• January 5, 2015 at 6:24 PM

haha..well actually it was bright orange, maybe that is the experimental part, trying to be red? Where would the blood be on mickey?

• January 6, 2015 at 12:00 PM

Ha, true, you’re right of course about the experimental orange/red! I would decapitate Mickey with a sickle and have Lenin hold his head. Sorry, I’m sick.

• January 6, 2015 at 12:06 PM

oh my..wow..i am a little scared of you kitty right now! lolol

• January 7, 2015 at 11:01 AM

*evil laugh* Don’t worry though, I’m the most peaceful kitty ever, I don’t even scratch! Unless you want me to 😉

• January 7, 2015 at 12:26 PM

oh no, no scratching please, purring and showing ones belly is fine for moi! hehe x

4. January 5, 2015 at 8:51 PM

I think the orange is very effective. It tends to represent warmth and joy, but also vulgarity and crassness.

• January 6, 2015 at 9:37 AM

ah yes, a very good way to think about it, thank you for commenting, its always really exciting to get peoples differing views 😀 love it x

5. January 6, 2015 at 12:45 AM

This is my favourite photo from the exhibit so far. Hilarious! I almost choked on a mouthful of water when I realized who was holding Mickey’s hands.

• January 6, 2015 at 9:45 AM

hah i laughed at you saying that I can just imagine your face, i did do a bit of a doubletake when I saw it to be honest LOL.