Saatchi & Saatchi #8 (Maturity Warning)

Saatchi & Saatchi #8

Maturity Warning

Sharing Art

The other day I went to the Saatchi & Saatchi Gallery in Chelsea, London, where they have Post Pop: East Meets West.

This is how the exhibition is described:

East Meets West examines why of all the twentieth century’s art movements, Pop art has had such a  powerful influence over artists from world regions that have had very different and sometimes opposing ideologies.

Widely regarded as one of the most significant art movements of the last century, Pop Art exploited identifiable imagery from mass media and everyday life to reflect on the nature of the world we live in.  This exhibition examines the relationship between western Pop Art and its lesser-known eastern counterparts including “Sots Art” in the Soviet Union and “Political-Pop” or “Cynical Realism”, which has flourished in Greater China since the turn of the twenty-first century.

I certainly love art in all it’s forms and as such have decided to share my experience with you.  Online give us the opportunity to share the places we go to and the things we see, I for one would love to see some of the Exhibitions you might go to.  I will post over the next few days the photos I took at the Exhibition, a series of Posts, called Saatchi & Saatchi # (whatever it is).

If you want to backtrack and look over past posts you will find it under my Arty Farty link here – Arty Farty

A little bit on the exhibits that might depict Sex & the Body as written by the Gallery:

Given it’s association with youth culture, and taking in to account the fact that most of the first generation of the op artists were male, it is not surprising that sex and the body were major subjects in Pop Art.  The overt sexuality conveyed in the images of attractive and apparently available women was direct most often towards a male heterosexual viewer.

Whilst humour continues to play a role, many of the artists depict the body with a sexual frankness, offering it up as a site for sharp social and political commentary.

I don’t know if you can get the concept of size of these carved figurines but they were really very small on what seemed like a polished piece of stone or marble, either way the surface was incredibly smooth, shiny and lovely to look at.

The figurines were incredibly detailed and to carve such a thing out of one block a feat certainly beyond my imagination.

There were about 3 blocks of these, one seemed to be non-mature, with my poor eyesight I struggled to see what it was, it seemed to depict war/death & the colour of the stone bleeding red quite fitting I thought.  The other figurines on the other blocks I could certainly tell what they were all about, no doubt though there is some deeper meaning I have not quite cottoned on to yet.

Gives a naive innocent expression there!

(I displayed these in a gallery but they don’t really do them justice at all, please click individually so you can see them properly if you so wish )

I actually really enjoyed these particular exhibits, didn’t find them vulgar at all and to me definitely dotted the i’s and crossed the t’s for the skill set and interest level I need to call it art, I might even have a smaller scale at home if it were within my price bracket and available, which of course it would never be.

What are your thoughts on this?

Mara, does this fit your risque criteria well enough? hehe

© Justine Nagaur

26 comments for “Saatchi & Saatchi #8 (Maturity Warning)

1. January 7, 2015 at 5:25 AM

Kind of reminds me of a couple of small ceramic frogs I have, except you don’t see the genitalia of the frogs unless you pick them up and look underneath them. Interesting exhibit.

• January 7, 2015 at 12:20 PM

lol re the frogs. I find it astounding the talent just to carve such small things i wonder how long it took. The feel of them too is wonderful as it is smooth stone or marble, not sure which, very tactile, its a great exhibition, glad i went x

2. January 7, 2015 at 6:28 AM

What an awesome exhibition! I’d love to see that.

• January 7, 2015 at 12:23 PM

Well you should pop over to the UK before the end of Feb then hehe mind you i have some more photos from it to share, so hopefully allowing others who cant go to enjoy a bit of it x

3. January 7, 2015 at 12:08 PM

Why, thank you, I will have nightmares about these for the rest of my miserable life…

• January 7, 2015 at 12:32 PM

haha you will? I thought you would enjoy them, you asked me for more risque. I have some rude ones, much ruder and obscure and perhaps a little deviant and dark, maybe I should not post them if it might upset you so!!! ;-P

• January 7, 2015 at 7:24 PM

I like risque, but in this case I don’t like the creatures, they are annoyingly ugly. I think I would like deviant and dark, so go ahead!

• January 8, 2015 at 9:41 AM

haha i like their fat bellies and wow, it was very tactile of course you had to be there to experience it,….hrm well todays post you will be familliar with but its not deviant unless you have really warped mind…do you?

• January 8, 2015 at 12:46 PM

Today’s post indeed strikes a familiar chord with me, I immediately associated those figures with matroyshkas…

• January 8, 2015 at 7:24 PM

well i think you were meant to be but they obviously have some kind of twist. Did you notice somethign about it though?

• January 9, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Besides them being alien matroyshkas?

• January 9, 2015 at 12:23 PM

hah you think they are? Wow you changed your profile pic, that totally threw me, so used ot the other one, now i want to see it close up hehe

• January 9, 2015 at 4:35 PM

I know, changes all around, including my Avatar! Sorry to confuse you 😉 I needed a fresh start, though, so I picked a picture which is more me. If you want to see me big, just click the Gravatar icon and it should bring you to the Gravatar page with a larger photo!

4. January 7, 2015 at 2:20 PM

LOL, maturity warning. Love it!

5. January 7, 2015 at 5:16 PM

I did have a closer look! OOOOh misses! Cheeky at times! 😉

• January 8, 2015 at 9:38 AM

i know…gasps…imagine the time it took to make it? wow it must have been months and months x

6. January 8, 2015 at 3:30 AM

I don’t find the symbolism in this one quite like the last, Justine, as hard as I try, it just lies flat for me in comparison. And all in all, it’s just plum ugly! Two thumbs down. Sorry. You said you’d put it in your living room. I wouldn’t laugh if I visited, promise. 😉

• January 8, 2015 at 9:44 AM

haha…well i am not sure i would put it in my sitting room, perhaps my bedroom, depends on how risque i was feeling and only a small one lol, coffee mug size. These were huge and astounded me how much time they would take to make and they were very tactile but of course you had to be there to feel it. I found it fascinating, not pretty but a bit intriguing in some ways hehe…i love comparisons of perceptions and likes, thank you x

• January 8, 2015 at 1:55 PM

I saw you posted the next # in the series already. I will be there to give you my opinion, my dear. This is fun. 🙂