Saatchi & Saatchi #9

Saatchi & Saatchi #9

Sharing Art

The other day I went to the Saatchi & Saatchi Gallery in Chelsea, London, where they have Post Pop: East Meets West.

This is how the exhibition is described:

East Meets West examines why of all the twentieth century’s art movements, Pop art has had such a  powerful influence over artists from world regions that have had very different and sometimes opposing ideologies.

Widely regarded as one of the most significant art movements of the last century, Pop Art exploited identifiable imagery from mass media and everyday life to reflect on the nature of the world we live in.  This exhibition examines the relationship between western Pop Art and its lesser-known eastern counterparts including “Sots Art” in the Soviet Union and “Political-Pop” or “Cynical Realism”, which has flourished in Greater China since the turn of the twenty-first century.

I certainly love art in all it’s forms and as such have decided to share my experience with you.  Online give us the opportunity to share the places we go to and the things we see, I for one would love to see some of the Exhibitions you might go to.  I will post over the next few days the photos I took at the Exhibition, a series of Posts, called Saatchi & Saatchi # (whatever it is).

If you want to backtrack and look over past posts you will find it under my Arty Farty link here – Arty Farty

These remind me of the Russian matryoshka dolls, which of course I think they are mean’t to do.

These are not traditional in style, many of the older styler dolls would be in the fashion of a peasant or based on a fairytale character, modern ones perhaps based on Soviet leaders at times.  There is something else however that I noticed, not sure if it is a staff member who placed the item being remiss or something done on purpose, can you see it?

If you notice anything unusual, please put it in the comments below 😀

Post Pop: East meets West

Post Pop: East meets West

What do you think of the design, the black face, the gold face etc, does it symbolize anything in your mind?

What are your thoughts on this?

© Justine Nagaur

35 comments for “Saatchi & Saatchi #9

1. January 8, 2015 at 11:32 AM

Ok, so I feel like I can see a naked lady in those patterns on the “dolls”???? It’s driving mad trying to figure it out!! x

Liked by 2 people

• January 8, 2015 at 7:23 PM

hah well what it is that i saw is the fact that they don’t all line up, one does, the others dont, now is this a mistake of the person who put the items out or is it done by the artist on purpose, because normally one lines these dolls up, that is what I saw 🙂 However, now i see naked ladies haha..i never spotted that before x

2. January 8, 2015 at 1:27 PM

You are keeping us very cultured, fablovely! Thanks.

• January 8, 2015 at 7:25 PM

a pleasure indeedy, until my photos of the exhibition run out lol. Did you notice there was something odd about it? 😀

3. January 8, 2015 at 2:13 PM

Matryoshka dolls! I love them! 😀

• January 8, 2015 at 7:26 PM

me too! Did you notice anything odd about them, something possibly done on purpose? x

• January 9, 2015 at 1:24 AM

I did notice that the design is not ‘typical’ 😛 They are women, but not in the traditional sense. Also, they’ve been twisted (in more ways than one! haha)

• January 9, 2015 at 12:21 PM

ah yes you spotted the twisted bit….good…i was wondering if anyone would x

• January 9, 2015 at 2:33 PM

Yes, not easy to spot if you don’t look carefully 🙂 What size are they? In relation to say, a one litre bottle? They look quite big, but not too large. Difficult to tell.

• January 9, 2015 at 5:33 PM

i guess the large ones are just a bit small height wise than my hand does that give an idea? x

• January 10, 2015 at 2:08 AM

Depends on how big or small your hands are, Justine… hahaha! So, they are the average size then, I think 🙂 Look bigger in the photo. Good capture 😀

• January 10, 2015 at 6:30 PM

haha yes i thought that afterwards. they are a bit bigger, well the main one is a tad bigger than the traditional ones. xx

4. January 8, 2015 at 3:12 PM

The dolls are much more aesthetically pleasing to me than the usual ones.

• January 8, 2015 at 7:27 PM

ah I like both, they are very unique looking, i am sitting wondering if there is some meaning in the way they are panited. I have the old style ones too which I love, but I wouldn’t mind these ones too but out of my price bracket i reckon. Did you notice anything odd possibly about them? x

• January 8, 2015 at 7:58 PM

No, I haven’t. I hope you’re going to tell us!

• January 9, 2015 at 12:17 PM

hah well the thing i noticed is the fact that they are not lined up which is really unusual, i wonder whether done on purpose by the artist or a scandulous mistake by whoever set it out x

• January 9, 2015 at 4:46 PM

It never even occurred to me that the line-up was unusual in that sense, only that it was rather pleasing. I’d say it was a conscious artistic decision.

• January 9, 2015 at 5:37 PM

yes i think youre right, one to get us talking hehe which is the greawt thing x

5. NotAPunkRocker
    January 8, 2015 at 3:25 PM

Maybe the way things pass by or skip generations, whether it’s hair color or hardship (black) vs. comfort (gold)?

• January 8, 2015 at 7:29 PM

oh thats very deep, that would not have occurred to me at all, but now that you mention it. I actually really like these ones though I love the traditional ones too. Someone has seen naked ladies dancing int eh wood which now i can see but didn’t before hehe. I love the gold and the black but suspect like you have suggested that they mean something. Have you noticed anything odd tha tmight have been done on purpose or by mistake? x

• January 8, 2015 at 7:30 PM

i noticed just now looking again that the gold and black is bleeding down each one further and furuther

6. January 8, 2015 at 3:52 PM

Could there be arm, legs on the pieces?

• January 8, 2015 at 7:29 PM

you mean to look at in the wood? Usually there aren’t actual physical ones put on, the design structure wise is the same, jsutthe art work different. But i can give you a clue as to what i saw…think of matchingup! hehe…

Someone has seen dancing naked ladies in the woodwork which I didn’t see before thats pretty cool x

• January 8, 2015 at 7:34 PM

That is close to what I saw, maybe not dancing but I held back. Guess that’s why art is subjective. 😉

• January 9, 2015 at 12:17 PM

entirely and its a wonderful thing that it is i think x

7. January 8, 2015 at 4:44 PM

Do you work for the gallery, or the artists? Great series of posts, with plenty of food for thought and challenging images 😉

• January 8, 2015 at 7:31 PM

hah i wish either or both, no just a punter that likes taking photographs and the beauty is that one can take photos here as usually one is not allowed at these type of exhibitions i have found. Now andy have you not noticed anything odd or something done by mistake with these? No one has spotted it yet, though some other things of interest and or ideas have been mentioned x

8. January 8, 2015 at 8:25 PM

The first thing that I thought of is that they look like salt and pepper shakers, Justine. Really. The gold for salt and the black for pepper. Food-oriented, I guess. 🙂

Then I thought the extended gold and black looked like hair growing longer, and I wondered why that was happening on the shorter dolls? Were the older women shrinking?

And finally I saw the naked ladies on the dolls, and, well, I always am a happier art critic when I see that I can confess here can’t I for art’s sake, Justine? I did wonder getting back to the hair theme, why some of them had pubic hair and some of them didn’t.

This artist apparently had a lot to say but I do not know what it is. ;-o

• January 9, 2015 at 12:18 PM

hah that is good about the salt and pepper but me thinks a tad expensive for shakers! Maybe you were hungry when you read this post.

I agree about the hair, the shrinking concept is interesting too!

Oh pubic hair? I nearly spat my tea out..where on earth do you see pubic hair??? hahahah

• January 9, 2015 at 1:40 PM

The dark blotches where the legs cross, natch, Justine. Not on all of them. Only the grown-up ones.

• January 9, 2015 at 5:30 PM

you know ive gone back and looked over and over again and don’t see it lol, perhaps that says something about where we both are in our minds when looking at it? haha