Quotes and Anais Nin Part 5

Quotes and Anais Nin Part 5

So far I have written a Part 1, 2 & 3 on Anais Nin, both of which you can find here:

Anais Nin Part 1

Anais Nin Part 2

Anais Nin Part 3

Anais Nin Part 4

In Part 1 I wrote a little about Anais Nin’s start in life, Part 2 we got to the part where she left Paris in 1939 and Guiler her husband seems to disappear from her diaries, part 3 seemed to peruse through her love life and marriages as did part 4 now we move on to her journals.

Anais Nin

Anais Nin

Journals

According to Nin’s own self judgement and that of scholars her most important works are her diaries or journals as you might call them.

These span over several decades and give a very indepth insight in to her relationships and personal life.

It appears that Nin was acquainted often intimately with a number of prominent authors, artists, psychoanalysts and so forth of which she often wrote especially Otto Rank.

Because of Nin’s life it has occurred that she has ended up writing predominantly about the masculine constellation of celebrities and as such her journals are seen as having a counterbalancing perspective.

There are some previously unpublished works coming to light such as A Café in Space, the Anaïs Nin Literary Journal

Previously unpublished works are coming to light in A Café in Space, the Anaïs Nin Literary Journal, which includes “Anaïs Nin and Joaquín Nin y Castellanos: Prelude to a Symphony—Letters between a father and daughter.”

Fifteen volumes of her journals have been published so far and all but the last four are in expurgated form.

I can’t wait to share with you next week information about her erotic writings.

Here I share another quote belonging to Anais which to me depicts our own expectations of others, how we want them to be or desire them to and can actually fool ourselves or carve in to our minds that they are actually like this when in fact they are not.  What do you think?

We are like sculptors, constantly carving out of others the image we long for, need, love or desire, often against reality, against their benefit, and always, in the end, a disappointment, because it does not fit them.

The Reclining Woman - Henry Moore

The Reclining Woman – Henry Moore

This photograph was provided by a dear friend, taken from outside Norwich Hospital where there is a collection of Henry Moore’s statues, this seemed very fitting to the quote.  Don’t you think?

How do you interpret this quote for yourself?

I look forward to reading your comments, Part 6 will be next week…

© Justine Nagaur Eclecticoddsnsods.com

19 comments for “Quotes and Anais Nin Part 5

1. January 22, 2015 at 11:57 AM

Never thought like that but after reading it, realizing..how true… We do keep shaping ourselves as per other’s expectations….disappontments are bound to happen.

• January 22, 2015 at 2:40 PM

ah yes or th eother way around, shaping others in our minds dont you think? I think this happens very often, putting our own expectations and wishes on others x oh ps went second hand shopping today again lol…must stop doing it now haha

2. January 22, 2015 at 2:48 PM

Very interesting! But oh.. That quote hit me hard.

3. NotAPunkRocker
    January 22, 2015 at 5:33 PM

Too much can be clouded by wanting to see the best in others, or the worst based on past experiences. We have to learn the difference between what a person is and can be vs. what we can make them or want them to be.

Good quote!

• January 22, 2015 at 7:22 PM

exactly, it’s a fundamental flaw in humans to do this all the time i think and causes such misery x

4. January 22, 2015 at 9:58 PM

Oh absolutely. I’ve fooled myself in relationships with both men and women – seeing who I think they are or want them to be, then being surprised or disappointed when I finally see them for themselves.

Justine – on a lighter note, for your next Anais post, I think you should pose in a black & white photo of yourself wearing a headscarf like the photo you have displayed of her and see if any of us notice 😊💥🎶

• January 23, 2015 at 9:21 AM

I think it is a common occurence.

Your suggestion really did make me laugh haha..i think people would notice now you said it? hahaha funny

5. January 24, 2015 at 1:58 PM

I suspect most of us have done this at one point or another. I know I have a terrible (and yet good) habit of focusing purely on the ‘good’ in people and ignoring the bad which usually ends up hurting me xx

6. January 29, 2015 at 12:14 AM

Reading Anais Nin during my teen years taught me a lot about writing. The quote that you cited reminds me of her pointing out in several ways that perspective is personal and fleeting. What is the “truth” from one person’s perspective is different from another’s. What is the “truth” one day changes the next.

I look forward to your Part 6. She had interesting things to say about the differences between her erotic writing, and that of the men whom she knew. I recall that the collector who they wrote for kept telling her to keep to the point, but kept buying her work anyway.

• January 29, 2015 at 12:18 PM

I think she had a really diverse mind, wild and free, which I really appreciate, we have to have these kind of creative people in the world to make a bit of a difference in this sphere xx

Glad you are enjoying the posts 🙂 I didn’t discover her until much later than my teens, might have had quite an impact had i discovered her earlier hehe x