Blackberry Series – #2
You can find Blackberry Series #1 here: #1 Blackberry Jelly
Apple and Blackberry Crumble, delish dish!
This is one of my favourites at this time of the year. I am always trying to find or work out slightly different recipes, however this one is pretty traditional, except for the grumble and a dash of Creme de Cassis that I popped in.
The crumble that I originally looked up had 180g cold unsalted butter, which is the amount I used, however I know that 80g would be the more normal amount for a drier crumblier crumble, however I myself personally really like it slightly different this time. I still managed to manipulate it enough to be like a crumble mix, it was just a bit heavier and indulgent ;-D
Apple and Blackberry Crumble
- Serves 6
Prep time:25 mins
Cooking time:40 mins
(or until golden on top)
Skill level:Easy peasy
For the filling:
- 3 eating apples, peeled,
- Quartered and cored
- 2 Bramley cooking apples, peeled
- Quartered and cored
- 2tsp cinnamon
- 100g demerara sugar
- 300g blackberries
- teaspoon of Creme de Cassis (optional)
For the crumble topping:
- 175g plain flour
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 140g soft brown sugar
- 35g porridge oats
- 80g cold unsalted butter
- Put the quartered apples in a bowl and shuffle them around to mix them up a bit. Mix the cinnamon with the sugar in a separate bowl. Put half the apples in an oven dish and sprinkle with a third of the sugar mixture. Add the blackberries and sprinkle with the second third of sugar mixture. Cover with the remaining apples and add the remaining sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- To make the crumble topping: Put the flour and cinnamon in a bowl and mix well, then stir in the sugar and the oats. Cut the butter into small cubes, add to the mixture and rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture is the texture of breadcrumbs. Lay the crumble mixture on top of the fruit.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, gas 3 and bake the crumble for about 40 mins. Keep an eye on the top. The sugar should go golden, not black. Serve with homemade custard.
This does be it slightly late, form part of my Fiesta Friday #83 contribution.
I hope you are having an amazing weekend! Justine xx