Blackberry Series #4 – Blackberry & Elderberry Ice cream
This recipe was adapted from a Nigella Lawson recipe and I did it last year. It is a must have now each year as it makes sure we go out foraging again which as a family we love. I added a twist to this ice cream and that was to add elderberries, the benefits of which you can read below.
If I look at the muslin picture quickly I keep on mistaking it for a flower. Don’t you think?
My youngest as you can see loved getting a quick lick in before the final masterpiece was made.
Blackberry & Elderberry Ice cream
- 400 grams blackberries
- 100 grams elderberries
- 75 grams caster sugar
- 30 ml water
- 300 ml whipping cream
- dash of creme de cassis
- Put fruit in a pan with water & sugar.
- Cover & simmer for 5 minutes.
- Tip into a sieve over a bowl (plastic is best) and push through with a wooden spoon. Chill.
- Whip the cream until thick but still soft – it should fall from a spoon.
- Add the fruit puree, mix well & freeze for 2 hours.
- Mash with a fork or process it. Return to freezer.
- Repeat mashing after 2 more hours. Ready after a further 2 hours in the freezer. Serve with extra blackberries and (possibly) my home made ginger snaps.
Important Note: Please remember when picking elderberries to only pick the very juicy dark ones, no green ones please as these are meant to be poisonous.
There are however huge benefits to having elderberries.For those of you who have children, you might use Sambucol which is the must have liquid during the winter months when all the coughs and colds come out. Why is it so popular and beneficial? It contains elderberries!
Benefits of elderberries: Used for its antioxidant activity to lower cholesterol, improve vision, boost the immune system, improve heart health and for coughs, colds, flu, bacterial and viral infections and tonsillitis. Elderberry juice was used to treat a flu epidemic in Panama in 1995.
Now it does have a very strong taste that quite often children won’t like but hey in ice cream? You can guess the answer, they loved it. Not that we eat ice cream every day 🙂
You can catch up on the other Blackberry series posts by clicking here: Blackberry series This is the last of the Blackberry series until next year folks 🙂
I would like to share these lovely treats with you and all those partying at Fiesta Friday #87
I hope you have an amazing weekend, Justine x