Citrus Greens smoothie
Wow I love this smoothie just for it’s colour, it’s fantastic. I must admit I was a touch nervous, will I have to add something sweet to make it taste nicer. Have no fear, it is totally not needed, not for my tastebuds anyway and I have a really sweet tooth. What I will say however is that I like this cool to cold, definitely not warm, so I smashed up a few ice cubes to go in it aswell.
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 10 cucumber slices
- 1 orange, peeled
- 100ml coconut water
What are the benefits?
For me it is low FODMAP. If you are not sure what this is, then you can check out info here: Low FODMAP Monasch University. It provides me with an instant snack to starve off those munchie moments and is good for me, bingo a no brainer. But what are the benefits I hear you ask. I am no expert but let’s work it out….
Spinach – a super food loaded with tons of nutrients in a low calorie package. Dark leafy greens like spinach are important for skin and hair, bone health, and provide protein, iron, vitamins and minerals.
Orange – They have a wealth of nutrients including vitamin C, vitamin A precursors, calcium, potassium, and pectin. For a complete list of its nutrients and calories go to calories in an orange.
Cucumber – contain multiple B vitamins, including vitamin B1, vitamin B5, and vitamin B7 (biotin). B vitamins are known to help ease feelings of anxiety and buffer some of the damaging effects of stress. Cucumbers are rich in two of the most basic elements needed for healthy digestion: water and fiber.
Coconut Water – It is mostly water, however it also contains…(infotaken from MindBodyGreen)
- Potassium is a vital mineral in your body. You need enough of it if you want your brain and nervous system to function properly. Coconut water can help provide some of that much needed potassium. One serving of coconut water will cover about 13% of your daily potassium needs.
- It contains magnesium.
- Magnesium is another important component of our diet, yet only 32% of people consume enough magnesium. If your body is running low on magnesium, that could cause low energy levels or even lead to serious health conditions like asthma, diabetes and osteoporosis. A serving of coconut water take care of about 14% of your daily magnesium needs.
- It contains copper.
- Copper is another essential mineral for your health. Without copper, your organs and your metabolism simply can’t work like a well-oiled machine. One serving of coconut water will provide about 11% of your daily copper requirements.
- It contains cytokinins.
- Cytokinins are little-known, yet highly beneficial compounds found in coconut water. Science has confirmed cytokinins slow down the development of cancerous cells, plus they slow down the aging process. What’s not to love, right?
- It contains antioxidants.
- Coconut water contains a lot of antioxidants, which help prevent the damage to our bodies caused by free radicals. Free radicals are produced by your own metabolism, so there’s no other way to neutralize the damage, except making sure you consume enough antioxidants in your diet. And coconut water can help you with that.
So after reading all of that, it is definitely going on my regular list of weekly smoothies to make.
If you try it please do let me know what you think of it. What is your favourite health smoothie? Justine xx
Of course this also contributes towards Fiesta Friday.#90