Macaroon Appreciation

Macaroon Appreciation

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever again, did I say ever too many times?  Well never, ever will I complain about the price of a macaroon again.  I just recently went on a macaroon baking class at Madeleine’s Cake Boutique to learn how to make macaroons.  I initially thought about going because I adore macaroons, I had no idea how they were made, so when I found out you piped them it was a no brainer as I have had an eternal fear of the piping bag.  As I say my fairy cakes usually taste ok, but as for looks when the piping bag comes out a total disaster.  This was killing two birds with one stone so to speak.

Madeleine’s Cake Boutique is like something out of a fairytale story, it is every girl’s dream.  It is pristine, beautiful colours and has jaw dropping cakes and wonderful treats on display.

There were only 5 of us in the class, so nice and small.  Our teacher a specialist pastry chef knew her stuff and wasn’t taking any fools.  She was thorough and passionate about her art and the way she imparted it.  We all had lots and lots of questions which she patiently took on board.

I had no idea exactly how much was involved in making macaroons, that is if you do it properly like our teacher showed us, or that there was a French and an Italian style.

Whether I can replicate and or remember all of it to do it at home again is another matter.  There are so many tiny things to help the process to perfection.  Tapping down the little tails with just a slightly wet fingertip, not too wet or you end up with a hole, or banging the tray once piping has been done against the counter, so you flatten the macaroons so they form nice little feet and become a lovely shape, the list is endless…..

So I herewith present visual evidence, I have booked on a baking course, to make madeleines, carrot muffins and red velvet cake Mmmmm and one day, hopefully soon I am going to attempt to make these at home.  I had promised myself to do it this week, but time has run away again.

The macaroons we made were, Passionfruit & White chocolate, Dark Chocolate & Earl Grey, Green Pistachio & Raspberry & Rose MMmm yum, my mouth is watering all over again.

Visual Evidence

Half my batch of macaroons is in the freezer, the other ones were devoured by everyone in a matter of seconds.  My personal favourite was the passion fruit macaroons.

As always this is a contribution towards Fiesta Friday #110

Archie official taste tester or critique, yet again didn’t get to try one as doggies can’t eat this sort of stuff as much as he would like, however he did say he was rather excited as he thought they were new toys for him to play with, disappointment ran over his wrinkly features when he heard grunts and groans from the family as they all got eaten miraculously fast.

pug in chefs hat

Archie the taste tester

I hope your’e weekend has been fun.  Have any of you made macaroons, if so how do you feel about the whole process?  Difficult or easy?

Justine xx

16 comments for “Macaroon Appreciation

1. March 13, 2016 at 9:08 AM

Haha, I love Archie the macaroon taster 🙂 I have the good sense not to attempt baking at home – I don’t think my smoke alarm would appreciate it – but I feel a strong urge to go out right now and buy some…

• March 13, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Awe you should everyone deserves at least one macaroon a day trouble is eating ‘just’ one macaroon is very hard as I discovered. Can you imagine baking them in class I wasn’t allowed to eat any until right at the end omg we were like scavengers then scoffing all the mistakes! I felt sick when I went home lol. Serves me right x

2. tam
    March 13, 2016 at 9:32 AM

I attempted once but the ended up in the bin 😑 these look so good!! I love the purple ones especially 💜

• March 13, 2016 at 9:47 AM

Yes I fear my attempt at home might end up like that. The lilac one is earl grey and chocolate ganache ❤️

• tam
        March 13, 2016 at 9:53 AM

I mean the smell of egg whites was making me want to puke 😷 this seems to be an issue that only affects me though 😂 I dislike the smell of eggs in general.

• March 13, 2016 at 10:16 AM

Oh dear that’s not good. They used a special egg white preparation that comes in a carton I couldn’t smell a thing perhaps that type might work for you xx

3. March 13, 2016 at 1:59 PM

They look amazing, well done!!

4. March 13, 2016 at 3:15 PM

Macarons is one of the stuffs I fear of doing, but you inspire me to try making, Justine. How lucky you are to be a part of this class. Thanks for sharing your experience. And hello to Archie! 😀

• March 15, 2016 at 3:40 PM

i still fear doing it lol, I need to man up or woman up and make some on my own 😀 I have booked another course, a baking one really looking forward to it yum!

5. March 13, 2016 at 5:24 PM

I love macarons and the way they look! (and taste!) However, since I always read how hard they are to make, I’ve never tried. Would love to, though. We have a shop in Washington, DC that sells nothing but macarons – every colour and flavour – “Macaron Bee” it is called – great place!

• March 15, 2016 at 3:41 PM

wow I wonder what the weirdest taste flavour is that they do in there? I hear savoury macaroons are awesome too x

6. March 15, 2016 at 5:31 AM

Wow, I sure did develop an appreciation of the amonut of work that goes in making a macaroon. Thanks for sharing your experience!

• March 15, 2016 at 3:41 PM

a total pleasure, I should have blogged more of what was involved, when I am brave enough to make them on my own I will 😀