Weekly Photo Challenge: Future

Damien Hirst, Verity

Weekly Photo Challenge: Future

I just returned from my annual Easter vacation in North Devon.  The last day we decided to do a bit of looking around and had heard of this statue that Damien Hirst had put up in Ilfracombe.  It seemed to generate quite a lot of interest and as such of course I was curious, so we took a drive to see what all the fuss was about.

It was a dreary, windy, slightly wet day, the photographs are taken with my iPhone, so slightly grainy which sort of adds to the atmosphere, I think so anyway 😀

When the subject matter of future came up for this weeks Weekly Photo Challenge through the Daily Post, I thought ‘perfect’ I must share this.  It’s depicting a pregnant woman, what could state ‘future’ more than that?

However, Verity, which is the name of the statue is in Damien’s own words a “modern allegory of truth and justice”

As quoted on Damien’s website, the meaning behind this statue is:

Verity is an allegory for truth and justice. Her stance is taken from Edgar Degas’s ‘Little Dancer of Fourteen Years’ (c. 1881). An anatomical cross- section of her head and torso reveal her skull and the developing foetus inside her womb.

Verity stands on a base of scattered legal books and holds the traditional symbols of Justice – a sword and scales. Representing truth, her scales are hidden and off-balance behind her back, whilst her sword is held confidently in her upstretched arm.

I’ve included a photo of where Verity looks out on to.  I was talking to one of the locals as there are a couple of interesting looking coves.  Apparently a slave ship went off course and crashed, sinking in to the choppy waters surrounding the shoreline.  Sadly a 100 slaves died as well as a lot of bullion.  So I suppose this photograph also depicts the opposite of future, the loss of further generations from the slaves that died.

Personally I found the statue a bit disturbing to look at, but that in a way is what has attracted me to go to a few of Damien Hirst’s exhibitions, especially when he had an ongoing relationship with Saatchi & Saatchi.  You might remember the various animals preserved in formaldehyde and preserved?

Damien Hirst Verity Damien Hirst Verity Damien Hirst Verity Damien Hirst Verity Damien Hirst Verity Damien Hirst Verity Damien Hirst Verity Damien Hirst Verity Damien Hirst Verity

What do you make of this statue?

Do you enjoy Damien’s works?

Happy Monday, Justine xx

22 comments for “Weekly Photo Challenge: Future

1. April 11, 2016 at 3:42 PM

I am kind of disturbed too, but I have to admit it is well constructed.

• April 11, 2016 at 4:14 PM

it’s more disturbing to the naked eye, gives you that moment of standing still for a second, wasn’t expecting the face to look so strikingly ugly, it’s certainly quite a combination of different things going on there, thank you for commenting 🙂

2. April 11, 2016 at 4:51 PM

Never liked Hirst’s work but it came in handy when I was teaching English class on the topic of art the other day – I showed my students his formaldehyde animals to spark some discussion and it actually worked. No one seemed to like it and everyone was quite eager to discuss how much they hate the stuff 🙂 This statue is just another piece by him that I hate fiercely. He can provoke people’s emotions, that I must owe him.

• April 11, 2016 at 5:57 PM

lol he certainly does provoke a conversation and that is merely why i like what he does, rather than his works specifically from an aesthetically pleasing perspective or artistic skillset which to me it is more a case of working psychologically with his audience 🙂

3. April 11, 2016 at 10:56 PM

Interesting and provocative. Wouldn’t want it in my home though.

4. April 12, 2016 at 7:29 AM

Wow! One side is interesting…the other side a little disturbing! 🙂

• April 12, 2016 at 7:36 AM

Lol I know totally what you mean and its interestingly positioned as you don’t see the disturbing side immediately as you have to walk around from the car park so it is a bit of a ‘oh my’ moment x

• April 12, 2016 at 8:05 AM

Mind you, it’s what you’d expect from Damien Hirst! 😉 x

• April 12, 2016 at 9:51 AM

very true which is what draws many’s curiosity each time he does something new 🙂

5. April 12, 2016 at 12:37 PM

Awesome statue! I like the grotesque side.

• April 17, 2016 at 6:18 AM

I am not surprised you say that I thought you might like Damien 🙂

6. April 12, 2016 at 4:09 PM

Powerful piece of work…

• April 17, 2016 at 6:18 AM

Thank you do you like him as an artist?

• April 17, 2016 at 4:21 PM

I’d never really given it much thought…

Certainly have been aware of his more controversial pieces of work , which in retrospective I have not found uplifting and anything I wanted to look at for very long, maybe that is why I have not made any effort to seek out other pieces of work or investigate the man behind the art. Perhaps I should…?

• April 18, 2016 at 10:43 AM

I don’t find his work uplifting but it does always generally spark some kind of thought of whether I like it, why did he do it, what does it mean etc which I quite enjoy even if I don’t actually like the piece, I guess it’s a clever way of drawing people in x

7. April 12, 2016 at 6:41 PM

Nice choice for the challenge, Justine.

8. artseafartsea
    April 12, 2016 at 7:02 PM

I’ve never seen a work of art that grabs your attention like this piece. I would like to know what the artist was thinking and what it represents. It is certainly an attention getter. Love it! Your shots are great.

• April 17, 2016 at 6:17 AM

Thank you and I put some of what it represents on the post plus a link to his website. He’s an interesting emotive artist x

• artseafartsea