Cranberry & Ginger Sauce For Christmas & Beyond!

Cranberry & Ginger Sauce

Now this isn’t just for Christmas.  I absolutely love this sauce and use it all year around, well until it has run out. It goes well with so many meats, not just a joint but with sausages, in sandwiches, the list is endless, but making it at Christmas is just a bit more special and of course relevant as the aromas of cinnamon, port, cranberries and oranges waft through the kitchen.  No diffuser can beat such a smell.

Bonus point is it is super super easy to make.

Want to know how?  See below, visual evidence first though!

Visual Evidence

Cranberry & Ginger Sauce Cranberry & Ginger Sauce Cranberry & Ginger Sauce Cranberry & Ginger Sauce Cranberry & Ginger Sauce cranberry-orange-sauce-6

Here are the ingredients…

Cranberry & Ginger Sauce

Ingredients

• 350g (12oz) fresh cranberries
  • 125g (4 oz) soft light brown sugar
  • 50ml (2 fl oz) port
  • Finely grated zest and juice of one orange
  • 1 small cinnamon stick
  • 1 small slice of fresh root ginger

Method

• Put all the ingredients in to a pan, slowly bring to the boil then simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, but stirring regularly.
  • Once time has elapsed, remove the cinnamon stick and ginger.
  • Spoon the sauce in to your preferred containers and let cool.
  • It will thicken as it cools.
  • You can keep this in the freezer in an airtight container, just allow enough time to thaw to room temp before serving.

As for the fridge, the large jar in my fridge has kept for a long time, but I guess it’s down to how much you make.  I doubled up the quantities.  The amount shown serves around 8.

As always my food posts are a contribution towards the long standing food party blogging event called Fiesta Friday!

pug in chefs hat

Archie the taste tester

Archie as always likes to make an appearance when food is around, he attempts to be an official taster, or would like to think such a thing.  He woofed that he is looking foward to trying the various meats this sauce will go with.  I muttered, “you will be lucky!”

What are your plans this weekend?  Mine, well, family members totalling around 12 around for an early Xmas meal.

Hugzzz, Justine xx

12 comments for “Cranberry & Ginger Sauce For Christmas & Beyond!

1. December 9, 2016 at 8:59 AM

delicious…

• December 9, 2016 at 9:00 AM

thank you, I could almost eat it in my porridge lol, actually probably would be quite nice!

2. December 9, 2016 at 10:17 AM

This looks wonderful – I love to make small food gifts for my colleagues. This might be just what I need!

• December 9, 2016 at 11:25 AM

oh this would be perfect as so versatile and smells sooooo good, I had to get a jar out of the fridge this morning just to have a sniff hah 😉

3. December 9, 2016 at 7:48 PM

For some reason I don’t see your “visual evidence” or Archie! Heck, I don’t need a picture as I can tell it would be delicious. I love to find new ways to use cranberries this time of the year. Thanks for sharing with Fiesta Friday.

• December 12, 2016 at 5:53 AM

Helloooo how lovely to see you here. It’s been a while, entirely my fault as been tied up elsewhere. Did you see my visual evidence in the end? Maybe some technical glitch. The sauce went down very well with a festive table for 12 yesterday 🙂 I hope you get to try it sometime. How are you? X

4. December 9, 2016 at 9:27 PM

I love the addition of the port in this recipe! I’m sure it was delicious!

• December 12, 2016 at 5:52 AM

It was really delish and so lovely to see you here on my blog. I tend to open the jar just to have a festive sniff every so often lol x. Thank you for coming by and how are you? Xx

5. December 11, 2016 at 10:14 PM

This sauce looks amazing, and I can imagine how good it smells while it is cooking! I am inspired to try it!

• December 12, 2016 at 5:51 AM

Please do try it I would love to know what you think of it. I just tested it on 12 for an early Festive lunch and they seemed to love it! Thanks for commenting x

6. December 27, 2016 at 10:16 PM

Yum!! I must try this.

You know you want to say something, come chat with me and others!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s